Fluval Startum

JimmyB

Hey all.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about any cons with this product either short term or long term.  I would like to use this in my 10 gallon tank that I currently have running.  I going to remove the Safe-T-Zorb I been using as substrate for my plants and possible use this.

Thanks.

I have 3 tanks running with it currently, with a wide range of shrimp. My yellow neo pop has exploded, from 10~15 to 80+ in the span of 2 months. My OEBT also are doing extremely well, healthy growth.

The last is a tank of mischlings who are new, but have berried quickly. As for if the baby shrimp will survive or not, I can't yet say. But I am seeing positive results for some.

The bad side, it turns to mud more quickly than others, and is overly light weight, so planting anything can be a challenge. In my various tanks, I have yet to see it buffer below 6.4 pH even with RO/DI, so high end shrimp may possibly have issues.

For ME, it's been wonderful for my neos. To early to tell with my TB, or Crystals however.

I have had nothing but success with this substrate. I use it, ADA and BrightWell. All have performed very well for me. I have a tank with mischlings, and the TB babies are doing great. When they get big enough, I plop them over to the TB only tank, but only because I want to keep my TB's together - not related to the params in the tank.

I don't do any planting or substrate vacuuming in my tanks - just moss - so I can't comment on plant issues, but it is on the lighter side as others have said.

Depends on which version you have;

Many reported issues with the initial batch a few years ago. The new "plant & shrimp" statrum seems to be better.

Started a few tanks with the new version and so far buffering capacity is the same or lower than ADA Aquasoil. Shape is more uniform than AS and seems more "moist" straight from the bag (less dust)

Doesn't release any ammonia but nitrates are higher than usual.

Too early to say about the long term buffering capacity so far it seems like a pretty decent alternative for ADA Aquasoil.