Spider wood in shrimp tank?

ChadO

Hello,

Anyone using spider wood in their shrimp tanks? A LFS in my area has a bunch available. I'm thinking of trying some out, but wanted to make sure there wasn't known issues with it? It looks like it'd give them lots of areas to climb and graze on provided it promoted good biofilm coverage.

Thanks!

Chad

I have it in a few of my tanks. Perfectly safe so far, and it grows great biofilm. Only issue I have found is it takes quite a while to sink if not weighted down with slate, or something of the like. 

I use spiderwood in my tank, and love it. It does not release much tannins but does need intense boiling and usually still does not sink right away. 

Hi RyeGuy,

Is the boiling to help leech the tannins out, or just help it sink faster?  From my understanding, a person would do a lot of boiling if there were lots of tannins to take out.  I just want to understand the reason for the boiling.  I definitely boil as well, so I don't mind that, just furthering my education is all.   :thumbsu:

Chad

Spiderwood is 100% safe and looks great

If you haven't soak before hand, just add a inert piece of rock on top of it for 2 or so weeks

It will also get a whitish fungus on it, no need to worry about this as it is purely the sugar saps from the wood

This should also disappear after a month or so

The boiling is to help the wood sink faster. After boiling for a few hours it only takes a couple days weighted down to sink. And yes it will grow a white fungus which is normal and not harmful, my shrimp love to eat it.