tds reading off the chart?

monty703

I bought one of those TDS EZ pen meters and check my tank water. I have been slowly adding

RO in my last couple of water changes (10%) but the meter reads 485   I checked the reading

off the RO and it was 007    What could be causing my TDS to be so high?   My PH says its

6.5 in this tank.  I have only Fluval shrimp soil, driftwood, java moss and some floating plants

with 2 double sponge filters.

Help!

have you been using tap water? also do you use prime with your RO water? prime will cause your TDS to go up a bit. also, what do you feed the tank with? are they pellets, sticks, or powder?  i use powder, so my TDS fluctuate a bit. i would say give or take 50TDS.  But 485 on the TDS scale is pretty high.

I bought one of those TDS EZ pen meters and check my tank water. I have been slowly adding

RO in my last couple of water changes (10%) but the meter reads 485   I checked the reading

off the RO and it was 007    What could be causing my TDS to be so high?   My PH says its

6.5 in this tank.  I have only Fluval shrimp soil, driftwood, java moss and some floating plants

with 2 double sponge filters.

Help!

Don't panic. High TDS is fine. My shrimp still breed well at TDS 800 (high light planted tank).

Don't try to adjust the TDS with shrimp inside. That will kill them.

First of all, you need to analyse where the TDS come from. Are you able to tell us the following:

• How long have you started this tank?
  • What is your dosing regime?
  • What is your feeding regime?
  • What is your maintenance regime?

Tank is 10 gallon,  just over 1 year old.

Fluval Shrimp soil. 

I originally used tap water with just regular water conditioner.  Only topped up the water when the levels went down, then I started doing a weekly 10% water change with RO water.  To the RO I added 5ml of SMW Bio Culture for the minerals.  

I have done 3 water changes since changing to RO, so there is probably still some tap water mixed with the RO.  I feed either a piece of snowflake or Bio Max every other day (make sure its all cleaned up before adding more food).  Ive started adding a little Genchem Polytase to help any babies or pregnant females.  I have them in the Marina Box attached to this tank.

Temp is 72F during the day, going down to 69 at night.  No heater in this tank.

2 x double sponge filters (that I have already cleaned once this month) one on each end of the tank.

regular light bulb on approx. 6 hours a day.

I don't vaccum the tank as I don't have anything to use on it.  

Could it be the SMW Bio Culture or maybe the Genchem Polytase (I have read on a German forum that it sometimes affects water parameters)

API test kit is not really accurate. But I think the GH is on the high side that contribute a portion of the high TDS.

Your tank is already 1 year old. It is a high time to do a water restart and siphon your substrate. I usually do this once every 6 months to a years.

Have you tested the TDS of your tap water? I'm sure there's still a lot of the original water in the tank since you've just done a few small water changes. And since you were just doing top ups when using the tap water your TDS would have risen each time. My guess is that the tap water is the source of the high TDS. As others have said you won't want to alter it drastically with shrimp in the tank. If I were you I'd stick to what you're doing, small water changes and top ups with pure RO, until you're able to reset the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I didn't test my tap water yet with the meter....will do that now.  I will continue with the RO topups but not use anything else for minerals just in case its overdosing the tank.  I lost my pinto female today, so somethings off in this tank.

I will be lowering the water to just above the substrate when I move....probably take out all the shrimps just in case. I can put them into a container with the sponges off the filters to keep the bacteria alive.  I will have the water in a large container ready to put back into the tank once its moved.  Shouldn't be more than 2 hours from start to finish.

I will continue to monitor the water each time I do a water change.  Won't add anything in right now as I don't want to start messing it up any more.  Its probably the soil and waste in it that's doing it as Shrimpy Daddy mentioned, so until I move I will just be very careful of what I put in it.

The funny thing is with my tap water measuring only 143 on the meter, I could have kept them on inert substrate instead of the fancy soil (which I have always used before until this time around)  I wouldn't have known without the meter, so it does help to have one.