tds reading off the chart?

monty703

Well that's the way Im going in the future...back to the basics for me!  I had more success when using straight clay based substrate and just having plants and driftwood in my tanks.  Since Ive been using the fancy Bee/Shrimp substrates Ive lost more shrimp than I can count....tired of it.   Maybe others have great success with these substrates, but in my own experience, the simpler the thing the better.

Well that's the way Im going in the future...back to the basics for me!  I had more success when using straight clay based substrate and just having plants and driftwood in my tanks.  Since Ive been using the fancy Bee/Shrimp substrates Ive lost more shrimp than I can count....tired of it.   Maybe others have great success with these substrates, but in my own experience, the simpler the thing the better.

It has been a myth that inert substrate is bad for shrimp. My beautiful JRBs are the living proof to bust this myth.

The advantage of active substrate is that it buffer the water and releases trace nutrients into the water column for the first two month. After that, it is just another inert substrate. Once the tank is full of waste material, it will self-buffer the pH (as long as you don't add too much alkaline compound). Trace nutrients precipitate very easily, thus if relying on the substrate to supply, then it will be very unreliable. This is another reason why shrimps started to die after two months.

It's so refreshing to see somebody that's a major league shrimper make a case for inert substrate!!!  I use inert substrate and RO/DI buffered Seachem buffer to set the pH exactly where I want it every stinking time.  And the buffer holds the pH steady.  The down side it it adds about 50ppm to the TDS.  The Up side is very large water changes are not stressful on the shrimp if I add the new water using a slow flow method.  

It's so refreshing to see somebody that's a major league shrimper make a case for inert substrate!!!  I use inert substrate and RO/DI buffered Seachem buffer to set the pH exactly where I want it every stinking time.  And the buffer holds the pH steady.  The down side it it adds about 50ppm to the TDS.  The Up side is very large water changes are not stressful on the shrimp if I add the new water using a slow flow method.  

I'm not alone. ;)

There are a lot of European shrimp breeders, who does not have affiliation with substrate company/seller, are using inert substrate.

Active substrate is much more useful for planted tank, especially plants that need to to absorb nutrients from root that is deep in the substrate. For shrimp, which does not live inside the substrate, will not beneficial for them. We just need to nourish the top of the substrate will be good enough. :D