Cycling doubt

nevesj98

Hello shrimpkeepers :D

So my tank is currently cycling and i know that a tank ends the cycle when the nitrites are at 0

But should i just wait on a tank to cycle "naturaly" or should i use a product like purigen to low the nitrite levels? Im afraid if by using a product im "cheating" the cycle and just lowering the nitrites for a short period of time just for the nitrites to rise again after the products effect has ended(and ending up killing the shrimps due to a false sense of the cycle ending)

Have a wonderfull day :D

Two tests to guarantee cycle is done:

1. NH3/NH4 is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm and NO3 is > 0ppm

2. Adding 2 ppm NH3/NH4 to tank, check next day. NH3/NH4 should be zero ppm. then cycling is done.

In my experience, while a cycle can be achieved with purigen, this process takes much longer with purigen. I'd prefer to add purigen after a normal cycle is complete, in line with your aforementioned suspicions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, while a cycle can be achieved with purigen, this process takes much longer with purigen. I'd prefer to add purigen after a normal cycle is complete, in line with your aforementioned suspicions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Usually, I will put Purigen in after 2 to 3 weeks.

However if you are cycling with substrate that release ammonium/ ammonia, such as ADA AS, it is better to put in Purigen upfront to bring the NH3/4 and NO2 level down. When they are too high, the cycling will be very slow too. Plus your plant will die.

Zero NO2 does not mean your tank has completed the cycling, there are other types of bacteria need to colonise. This will take about a month to two months, depending on your cycling method.

Ive seen it already but since it uses some products which i cant get here in portugal, i didnt really took to much attention.

Can I ask a curious question?

Is it not easy to get good shrimp's products in Portugal? I do have quite a number of Portuguese customers order directly from me.

I'm not saying you can't, i'm saying that i cant, im new in this hobby therefore i dont know the places to go :)

Haha... No no. What I mean is that I am asking about availability of shrimp's products. Not specifically about you. ;)

From what I heard is that it is not as easy to get as other part of Europe. Is that true?