What is going on with this shell?

sarah

Sorry the pics are not so great, but can anyone tell me what's going on with this RCS shell?

Its overall color is very blotchy, but what I'm wondering about is the clearer/lighter patches on both sides of the carapace. I've attached photos of both sides. Does anyone see what I mean? It's been like this for a while.

post-1734-0-81496600-1444936426_thumb.jp

post-1734-0-83632300-1444936444_thumb.jp

Thanks, guys. This is the first I've ever heard of kanokos.

I have a couple in there with black/dark splotches... but after reading some of your posts, I assumed it was an astaxanthin issue. Is this not what that would look like, Soothing?

Either way, I am happy to hear that the clear "ear patches" are not a problem.

My research has only been on astaxanthin and yellows, however from what I've seen the ntire pigment and tissue turns brownish, not just spots.  I think it would be safe to assume that the spots are not caused by astax. :)

Here's some pics of the extinct strain "Kanoko" from a German owner in 2010 named Kenoa:

post-2-0-13630000-1445002038_thumb.jpg

These were bred from a sakura red strain to make the black prevalent.

At that time the coloration did not catch on and the line was done away with.  In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful neo strains I have seen.

Those RCS look very solid. Where did you get them from if you don't mind telling?

I got them at my LFS about a year ago before I knew anything about shrimp. I have many that are very solid, but I have not done any culling so they are quite mixed.

My research has only been on astaxanthin and yellows, however from what I've seen the ntire pigment and tissue turns brownish, not just spots.  I think it would be safe to assume that the spots are not caused by astax. :)

Here's some pics of the extinct strain "Kanoko" from a German owner in 2010 named Kenoa:

attachicon.gifkanoko shrimp.jpg

These were bred from a sakura red strain to make the black prevalent.

At that time the coloration did not catch on and the line was done away with.  In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful neo strains I have seen.

Interesting! If I wasn't already overloaded on tanks, I might consider trying to breed for it :(