Can i use distilled water?

Can I use distilled water for my shrimp tank? If not could i use it to start cycling with and convert to r.o water down the road? In my 10g I'm using Controsoil, with Distilled water, and sponge filter. I haven't purchased minerals yet. What should be the next step to assure a healthy setup for my shrimp to breed and thrive? I've purchased some shrimp from very reputable people, just waiting for the cycle to complete. Thanks greatly in advance.

Is there another type?

Great question!

Well, I know from limited experience that grocery store water that says it is "vapor processed" might be bad for shrimp. I have never had trouble, or heard of trouble, with ones that say "steam distilled" on the label. One of my students was using "steam distilled" water for a time with no issues, and then switched to a jug of "vapor processed" water for a water change, and it ended up killing all of his shrimp very quickly. I really have no idea if there is a difference between vapor processing or steam distillation, but that one experience makes me seek out water labelled as purified by steam distillation if I need an alternative to RO water for aquarium use (e.g. for diluting H202 for an oxydator).

Vapor and steam are the same process of distillation. That is heating up the impure water enough for evaporation and then using a cooled pipe to condense it back to pure water.

I'd be wary about using any type of off the self distilled water since the distillation company might have used copper pipings for the condensation process.

OK, thank you all. I am using it as I've spoke to several reliable breeders who have used it in the past. TDS is 42 ph 6.4 I put a live sponge filter and bioball from another tank so it jump starts the cycle.I will add some aged tap water to up the GH kh. Any thoughts or input on what I should do next is welcome and appreciated.