Here Shrimpy Shrimpy Shrimpy...

mosspearl

Just where do these dang shrimps hide???

I took out my giant mountain rock from my BV tank so I could see them. I can now find 4 of the original six on a regular basis that I got from Soothing. There have been two clutches hatched in there... sometimes I can see a couple from the latest one because they're tiny and pink. I can't find any from the previous clutch. I do have a big ball o' mixed moss in the corner, so some might be in there somewhere, and I keep hoping on feeding day that they all pop out to eat, but the BV seem to be the least interested in goodies, whereas the yellows and rilis jump at anything I put in. The yellows will pile on each other to get a bite and the rilis politely wait their turn... it's a riot. LOL

There are still some plants in there, but their hiding places are limited compared to what it used to be. And how do I make sure I don't hurt babies when I need to clean the sponge filter or put it back in? My eyesight isn't what it used to be and they're so dang tiny! Aaaarrrggghhh!

No worries on the sponge filter.  There's no impeller, so no chopping up.  If any shrimp get in the holes when you take off a sponge, when yo put it back on- the current carries them out the top.  I personally have almost no worries about it, so I even remove the extension tube on my double sponge filters.  I like the way the bubbles spread wider without it.

When I take off the sponge, I roll it like a log in the tank and any shrimp on it come off before I take it out to squeeze..

My suggestion is to only clean one sponge and let at least a week between cleaning the other.  This way the bacteria is still on at least one if accidentally squeezing out too much bacteria on the other.  By waiting to do the other one, you also allow bacteria to start recolonizing on the "clean" one.  In short, it is entirely possible to crash a tank by squeezing both out at the same time.  yeah...it's happened to me.

I only have a single in my 2.5g tanks... like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquarium-Cylinder-Sponge-Filter/dp/B005LMQCW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384311276&sr=8-4&keywords=aquarium+sponge+filter

So I still have the tube on and the sponge stays on the plastic, I think. There is a bit of plastic on the top and then there's the plastic base, though when I take it out, I'll check. Thanks! Sponge cleaning scheduled for the weekend!

The doubles I have in the two Evolves... I got the tube off the one in the betta tank, but it wouldn't come off the other. It was really stuck tight! Then I had issues when I set up an airstone in my hospital jar... the sponge in the betta tank stopped bubbling. :P Dang cheap plastic gang valves. Hopefully those fish won't be in there forever and I can stop using the airstone. The betta won't have a problem without the sponge filter because the Evolve8 has the sump. I put the sponge in there because I wanted something that reached lower into the tank than the sump did. It also breaks the surface tension better than the pump in the Evolve.

Since the two I need to clean are singles, I'll just have to be super careful not to squeeze too much. :P Don't want to lose too much bacteria. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Now back to searching for more shrimp...