Purifying and strengthening CRS?

Hi guys,

I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I'm after your advice and thoughts on creating PRL crystals from CRS from an unknown lineage.

My friend keeps a colony of CRS and I am planning on investing in a handful of Golden Bees. Now I realize this will be massively time-consuming (but also tons of fun!), but if we were to isolate each of his CRS females and pair them with male Golden Bees, we could identify the females that carry 'Pure' red genes (i.e no recessive golden) correct? If all the offspring are CRS, then the female is 'pure' (at least as being free from the golden gene is concerned).

We could also isolate the males and pair them with my females to ascertain the same for the CRS males?

If we were to find a male and a female of his CRS which both were free of the recessive golden genes, we could pair THESE two shrimp to attain a clutch of guaranteed CRS who are all free of the golden gene. Please correct me if I'm wrong at this point.

Now it gets a little cloudy for me. Assuming this is all possible, what would be the next step to strengthening the genetics of the offspring? Would I need to invest in a proven PRL shrimp from a provably different family and then breed to that individual? Also, would this be the time to start selecting for grades or should the offspring be bred out to F4/5/6 etc before selecting for colors and grades?

Sorry it's a bit of a long one, hope someone has the answers I need xD

Thanks,

Chinza

Let's tackle your first question first.  You ask if golden x crs = golden if not pure.  The answer is yes...in theory.

Let me explain, anytime we talk about percentages or types thrown, it is in theory and law of averages.

For instance, both P1 animals may have a simple recessive for something, mate, and all offspring are of one color. 

But wait, you say, that means one of the P1s had no recessive!

Nope, that means that litter didn't have the occurrence of that double recessive.  Over the course of multiple litters, you have a chance of the law of averages happening to give you the proper ratio overall.

This is important to understand when breeding.  Just because something isn't thrown does not mean a trait is not able to be thrown.  Using punnet squares for instance gives a chance the ratio will happen overall over multiple breedings.

So, to make your theory work, your crs x golden may mate once and give proper results, or may have to be mated multiple times to throw a golden.

The advantage you have with shrimp is the large numbers of shrimplets thrown from a single breeding, may yield some result. :)