Breeding for several types of red shrimp...

Garlands

Okay, guys. I'm trying to wrap my head around shrimp genetics and breeding, so please bear with me. I think I have a cursory understanding... let's see.

I'd like to eventually breed to get Mosura Pinto Red (or Black) Shrimp. However, I'd like to try to work my way there. I currently have about 13 adult CRS (that had been previously mixed with CBS) in a 20g long and they have been reproducing heartily. First, I'm wondering if I should exchange them in the LFS for better quality shrimp... especially ones that hadn't been mixed with the CBS. They are only S(-SS possibly) grade and if I want to start this project right, I should get the best grade I can afford... right? I imagine it wouldn't matter whether the line is pure, since I will be eventually mixing...? But preferably all red.

So I have my 20g tank of CRS. Next, I would put a few (3-4) Red Wine Bees in my 6 gallon. I would put a few male CRS in with the female Red Wines in a breeder capsule thing. Then move the CRS back and let the Wines have full range of the 6g.

The babies they produce would be mischlings. As I understand it, I can breed these mischlings to the Wines again for a chance at mischlings and more Wines. Then I get a little fuzzy here... do I breed the ensuing Wines with a pure Pinto?

Is it possible to breed a combination of shrimp to have a chance at High-Grade CRS, Fancy Red Shrimp, Red Wine Bees, and Mosura Red or Black Pintos? Should they be separated or can they be together? Exactly how many tanks would I need to accomplish this? And should I keep my current CRS stock or try with a higher grade/more shrimp?

Thank you. :)

Just trying to understand my options, I guess. I'd love to eventually have CRS, Fancy Red Tigers,  Red Wines, and Mosura Pintos, though not necessarily at the same time. Though if I can kill two birds with one stone by breeding them all for one end result, that would be great. :D

Okay, guys. I'm trying to wrap my head around shrimp genetics and breeding, so please bear with me. I think I have a cursory understanding... let's see.

I'd like to eventually breed to get Mosura Pinto Red (or Black) Shrimp. However, I'd like to try to work my way there. I currently have about 13 adult CRS (that had been previously mixed with CBS) in a 20g long and they have been reproducing heartily. First, I'm wondering if I should exchange them in the LFS for better quality shrimp... especially ones that hadn't been mixed with the CBS. They are only S(-SS possibly) grade and if I want to start this project right, I should get the best grade I can afford... right? I imagine it wouldn't matter whether the line is pure, since I will be eventually mixing...? But preferably all red.

So I have my 20g tank of CRS. Next, I would put a few (3-4) Red Wine Bees in my 6 gallon. I would put a few male CRS in with the female Red Wines in a breeder capsule thing. Then move the CRS back and let the Wines have full range of the 6g.

The babies they produce would be mischlings. As I understand it, I can breed these mischlings to the Wines again for a chance at mischlings and more Wines. Then I get a little fuzzy here... do I breed the ensuing Wines with a pure Pinto?

Is it possible to breed a combination of shrimp to have a chance at High-Grade CRS, Fancy Red Shrimp, Red Wine Bees, and Mosura Red or Black Pintos? Should they be separated or can they be together? Exactly how many tanks would I need to accomplish this? And should I keep my current CRS stock or try with a higher grade/more shrimp?

Thank you. :)

Would probably suggest skipping the LFS and find a decent strain here, most have breed homegrown strains hardy and pure. Hard to tell where the LFS got them from and how much you'll pay at retail.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk