Too much filtration/flow?

Hello!  I have a 10g tank that will be shrimp-only, and I'm using a 30-gallon HOB AquaClear filter from one of my larger tanks.  Now that it's on there and hooked up, it looks like there is a lot of water flow/current for this small tank...maybe too much for shrimp?  The tank will be planted with a piece of driftwood (also from my 40g), no air stone, if any of that is pertinent.

I do have a good sponge filter on this unit to prevent shrimplet accidents.

Just wondering if I'm going to need to downsize from the 30g HOB filter.  I do want the shrimp to breed, so of course want the best environment.  I was hoping (for my wallet's sake) to be able to get away with using a filter I already have...but if it's not optimal, then will move on.

And if you would recommend a smaller filter, would love some (not too expensive) suggestions on brand and size.  I've never used anything but HOB filters for my fish tanks. 

Thanks much!  :)    Kris

I have done the same thing but just put a sponge in it. Once the suction cups gets older they will start sliding down with weight of the media.

Hello!  I have a 10g tank that will be shrimp-only, and I'm using a 30-gallon HOB AquaClear filter from one of my larger tanks.  Now that it's on there and hooked up, it looks like there is a lot of water flow/current for this small tank...maybe too much for shrimp?  The tank will be planted with a piece of driftwood (also from my 40g), no air stone, if any of that is pertinent.

I do have a good sponge filter on this unit to prevent shrimplet accidents.

Just wondering if I'm going to need to downsize from the 30g HOB filter.  I do want the shrimp to breed, so of course want the best environment.  I was hoping (for my wallet's sake) to be able to get away with using a filter I already have...but if it's not optimal, then will move on.

And if you would recommend a smaller filter, would love some (not too expensive) suggestions on brand and size.  I've never used anything but HOB filters for my fish tanks. 

Thanks much!  :)    Kris

I use aquaclear filters, have you turned down the flow?

Okay, I want to make sure I understand -- you just put this right under the "flow spout" on the AquaClear (with a sponge or media in it) to slow down the flow? 

I did turn the flow down to the lower side but it's still a pretty darn good flow in this little tank...

i liked it,so i ordered one for one of my tanks.

i use AQ 30's.

good for a 10g,but even turned all the way down it's too muck flow.

get the cheap no brand fluval intake sponge,they get clogged quick,so that'll slow it down to a trickle.

in my tank with 100+ shrimp,they must unclog it because i have to move the tube up a little to slow the flow.

I found one this morning at local home improvement store for $3.  Nice savings over buying another filter system, so thanks!

I also had a sponge filter once that really slowed down my water flow, I don't know what brand it was or what I did with it.  But it was in a fish tank and as soon as I saw it slowed the filter down that much I pulled it off.  Maybe I could find it again.  Or maybe that's hoping for too much... :lol: