Fluval Spec shrimp proofing

I want to start a new tank for TB's. I have used Spec (2.6g) that was marine tank before. I washed it with vinegar when I got it (in summer) and gave it another vinegar rinse now. I'll put seeded matrix and new purigen but I need some ideas how to make it safe for shrimp. The tank has a small hole and some slits. Do you have any recomendation for me?

I know the tank is small but I don't think it'll house many shrimp inside.

TIA

What a great little tank for sure! When I used my Fluval Spec I simply cut a similar style sponge and placed at the top where the slits are for the overflow. That prevented 99% of the shrimp going in. At a point I didn't do anything, and simply let they hang out in the overflow and sponge area.

Is this the Fluval spec III ?did you get it used? good score! did it come with the sponge set (bio-kit) for the filter box area on the left side in the back area?? If not U can purchase this at any Petco store. It is a great little tank too. I will admit I do have problems with the tiny shrimplets getting back in there through the top "intake" slits and end up in the void area where the pump runs though. I have added a 25 watt heater in this same area as well. I just wait for the little one's to come up near the top and suck them up with a plastic turkey baster and put them back in the main tank. I will add a fine sponge piece I have that came from filter replacement sponges for those nano HOB filters though. As for numbers in a tank of this size, I have had upwards of 130+ Red rili's of all sizes with NO problems but man that's alot of shrimp for this little tank! Don't get me wrong this is a little shrimp factory and does really well for its size and are finding it out produces compared to any other bigger sized tank setups I have for shrimp! I the last 2 months I have sold 75+ shrimp (six dozen) from this very Spec III!

I still see at least 40+ going strong in there at feeding time with a least 4 berried females at any one time, like I said a shrimp factory! I started with 10 shrimp 1.5 years ago too.

Please post a pic your nice score here! It does not have to be set up yet either. I also need to warn you reguarding the pumps output volume too...

Is this the Fluval spec III ?did you get it used? good score! did it come with the sponge set (bio-kit) for the filter box area on the left side in the back area?? If not U can purchase this at any Petco store. It is a great little tank too. I will admit I do have problems with the tiny shrimplets getting back in there through the top "intake" slits and end up in the void area where the pump runs though. I have added a 25 watt heater in this same area as well. I just wait for the little one's to come up near the top and suck them up with a plastic turkey baster and put them back in the main tank. I will add a fine sponge piece I have that came from filter replacement sponges for those nano HOB filters though. As for numbers in a tank of this size, I have had upwards of 130+ Red rili's of all sizes with NO problems but man that's alot of shrimp for this little tank! Don't get me wrong this is a little shrimp factory and does really well for its size and are finding it out produces compared to any other bigger sized tank setups I have for shrimp! I the last 2 months I have sold 75+ shrimp (six dozen) from this very Spec III!

I still see at least 40+ going strong in there at feeding time with a least 4 berried females at any one time, like I said a shrimp factory! I started with 10 shrimp 1.5 years ago too.

Please post a pic your nice score here! It does not have to be set up yet either. I also need to warn you reguarding the pumps output volume too...

Nice job on your spec. Post some pictures in this thread of yours, please.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

OK, I started my tank today. Yesterday I glued a piece of SS mesh on the back of the small hole. (I embarrassed to say it but I mastered to glue myself to a super glue tube. :o ) Also cut another piece of SS mesh and cover the intake. It sits nice and fitted on the back (even black filter sponge keeps it in the place) but not so nicely infront. Maybe I'll cut it a bit to make it shorter. I added some seeded filter rings in the bottom part of the filter (put them in a stocking), then added another seeded rings and new purigen in the filters black sponge. Added some Stability, cholla wood with round pellia, hornwort, amazon frogbits and will wait. Just need to adjust a pump because the flaw is to strong I think.

So far it looks nice and clean but I'm sure I'll drop more plants and it's going to look like jungles again. Forgot to put a plate...

To slow the flow set the flow rate at about half on the pump then add alittle piece of scrap sponge into the flow nozzle that is in the tank side, don't pack in in just install loosely. It will need cleaning periotically though. It works well enough to stop the whirling effect.