Very dark red CRS babies

Jynn

So, a while ago I had posted about some weird pink blotchy shrimp that popped out of a group of what I bought as just standard CRS. They came from a LFS, werent the best grade or anything, but it was my first attempt with caridinas.    They did great, I went from 5 to about 40 shrimp in a few months, but every now and then id get one of these blotchy pinkish lil fellows.

I assumed that somewhere in their line someone had been trying to mix in golden bees to up the white on the CRS, but I dont really know, LFS shrimp, so no idea on their genetics.    

I was pulling the weird shrimp out and tossing them into a betta tank because I kind of hated them, but couldn't bring myself to straight up cull them.   

Out of nowhere,that whole tank of shrimp started dying off, after a month or so they were gone, but some of my "culls" in the betta tank were still surviving in there.

(turns out my something changed in my city water and it was suddenly REALLY REALLY hard.

BBdHbkI.jpg?2

Well, since then I have purchsed an RO unit, another 20g for black pandas and blue bolts, and also set up quite a few 2.5-5g tanks that Id planned to use for selective breeding for shadow pandas.   I had an empty, cycled 2.5g, so I caught the last remaining weird blotchy shrimp and put them in the 2.5, figuring that they managed to survive in that betta tank (def wrong params for bee shrimp) for so long I may as well start actually caring for them properly, ugly or not. The last 2 remaining were both male.

I also rescaped and set the original planted living room tank back up, cycled it, and let it grow out to try again with CRS.    I ordered new CRS shrimp for the display tank.  I was a little paranoid that despite the params looking perfect, somehow all my new shrimp would just die when I put them in there, so I threw 3 in with the ugly shrimp as backup shrimp in case something happened in the new tank.

It didn't, everyone is doing fine, but I never got around to moving those 3 babies into the main tank.   They grew up, turns out they were 3 females and eventually they ended up berried.    Their offspring have grown quite a bit, but they came out a really neat dark red color, not the bright red of normal CRS or their mothers.

ulWe7UA.jpg

The camera doesn't really capture the color right...    

Is this normal for baby shrimp (id say theyre about a month old in the pic), and ive somehow never noticed before?   Will they lighten up as they age, or did my ugly shrimp x CRS somehow make deep red bees?

I really like them, i'm hoping it sticks around

Your "Ugly" shrimp actually seem to resemble Red Bolts. I actually have a ton that popped up in my Wine Red/Ruby Red Taiwan Bee tank as well. Deep Red Coloration is very desirable when it comes to CRS and/or PRL. Have anymore pictures of the deep red?

Your "Ugly" shrimp actually seem to resemble Red Bolts. I actually have a ton that popped up in my Wine Red/Ruby Red Taiwan Bee tank as well. Deep Red Coloration is very desirable when it comes to CRS and/or PRL. Have anymore pictures of the deep red?

I can try to get out a real camera and get some better pictures when I'm home from work.

Ive been told the blotchy pink guys resembled red bolts before, but since they popped out of some mid grade $4 CRS from a local pet store, Id say they aren't actually bolts.  The pink coloration is in the body mostly, not the shell.