Food experiment

Aennedry

Yep. What it says. Brewed a cup of chamomile tea. Looked into the infuser at yellow petals and thought, 'will the shrimp eat this?' Flower petals. Used once... why not try. Scooped a little up once it cooled and dropped it into the cherry tank. Since it was still wet, it fell in a glob to the bottom of the tank, where it was mobbed withing minutes. The cherries were grabbing bits and running off with it, so apparently they will eat it. Has anyone else tried it with their shrimp? Was also thinking about trying it unbrewed, just getting the tea wet enough to sink in the tank. That will be an experiment for next week though, when I get more tea.

=^._.^=

Would be interesting to work out  how much they actually are eating and benefiting from it, as from my experience shrimps and particularly neos will mob anything new that is dropped into the tank. The novelty soon wares off and life returns to normal. I have experimented with various potential foods including tea leaves and the results were pretty much the same. Shrimps are for the most part opportunists scavengers in the wild so will certainly try and test things out and there is no doubt a huge array of food they will eat or sample. Our more finicky high grade shrimp are not surprisingly more picky than the riffraff :)

They cleared it up in a half hour, one of the largest shrimp balls I have had in my tank. Benefiting from it, not sure how much. They had been used once but chamomile is said to have lots of minerals. Will see how they react to non-brewed tea next week.

=^._.^=

I am thinking that more pollen and nutrients would be in the tea before brewing. I would have to soak it to get it to sink... so that will be an experiment. But then I don't get tea to drink... so it just may be a one time experiment on that.

=^._.^= 

I am thinking that more pollen and nutrients would be in the tea before brewing. I would have to soak it to get it to sink... so that will be an experiment. But then I don't get tea to drink... so it just may be a one time experiment on that.

=^._.^=

Really interesting thought. Please do post your results. :)