Trying something new

I have never tried soil before, seems like a lot of you guys and gals are knowledgeable on the subject. So i would like to know. Positives and negs of it, whats its purpose, good kinds to start off with. i want to do a nice planted tank that can survive without  a co2 and all that (not ready for that). Last just things i need to know how long does it last what happens when its no good.

There's miracle grow organic which is a popular option. Any soil that wasn't made by animal compost will work and give you best results because it won't release ammonia like others or excessive nutrients.

It's a pain to get prepared before putting in your tank, but once you do it's pretty much set-and-forget. Cap it with sand, rock, eco complete, whatever you want and sit back.

If you plant afterwards, be prepared to see some soil cloud your water. Soil lasts FOREVER. Expect 1 year plus with soil.

I don't like soil tanks personally.    You make one wrong move when cleaning it and you've got a muddy disaster.  You also cant really rescape without making a huge mess either.

And sometimes you get weird bugs that pop up in them.    Ive never found a surprise damselfly larva in a NON dirted tank, but my dirted trial ended up with them.

May need to clarify, but I have a feeling that you are referring to a manufactured active substrate like ADA Aquasoil, control soil, etc but not actual garden soil (AKA dirted tank) for your new project?

Yep, there has been lots of discussion about active substrates here. Very knowledgeable folks.

May sound crazy but I'd read every old post in the "substrate" section and you will get lots of answers.

If you DID mean a "dirted tank" there's some great info from Dustins Fishtanks on youtube.

I would also read a book called Ecology of the Planted aquarium, by Diana Walstead.

I personally love dirtedtanks. While they can get messy when replanting or moving plants, the dirt will settle, where it can be vacuumed carefully later on.

All the years I aquascaped aquariums, I certainly think the ADA Substrate and Substrate Additive line worked the best for me.

If you're looking for aquasoil, there are a ton of choices. ADA's Amazonia is great, but leaches ammonia for about 2 months, so if you want shrimp in there after a normal cycle period, you gotta be vigilant about WCs. Personally, I've used a few of them (ADA Amazonia, Azoo plant grower bed, Mr Aqua.aquarium soil, and another that comes in a small silver bag but not ADA brand...).

ADA and the last I mentioned all give the NH3 spike but are incredible as far as plant growth, root formation, and substrate permeability. but Azoo and Mr. Aqua(from experience) don't five the ammonia spike and also kick ass at growing plants just as much as ADA (imho)! SInce you're gonna have a nutrient rich soil, and no CO2, you might consider picking up a bottle of API CO2 Booster, which is a reducing agent allowing for more CO2 in the water column, and will keep algae off your plants!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think most people that do aquascape would agree with this statement.

Maybe... but maybe ~%50 percent agree, while ~%50 think it's way overpriced and cheaper alternatives/upgrades exist. I know that's why only a handful of LFS have it and have started carrying other brands. AquaForestAquarium here in SF, CA is the US supplier for ADA goods and they do very little business on that front. BUT they do have all ADA soils, ferts, tanks, and DoAqua hardware there. All at the lowest prices I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk