WTB Macro Lens

Dluxeshrimps

Is this an option worth considering?  I'm just starting to dabble in macro photography as well, also have a Canon.

http://smile.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455295950&sr=8-4&keywords=canon+macro+lens

If this isn't a good lens to consider, can someone explain to me why?

I have a Canon and looking for a macro lens.

anyone know where I can get one used or if anyone has one that is in decent condition

thanks

im trying to stay under $270 if possible

You can check out FredMiranda.com in the for sale section.  There are a number of them listed there.

You can also go to keh.com as they are one of the largest used camera sites, and they grade pretty conservatively, which is great.  I see that they have an excellent (EX) one there now (100mm size) for $299, and an excellent plus (EX+) for $328.  I have the Canon EF 100mm Macro, and it's been great. 

You can check out FredMiranda.com in the for sale section.  There are a number of them listed there.

You can also go to keh.com as they are one of the largest used camera sites, and they grade pretty conservatively, which is great.  I see that they have an excellent (EX) one there now (100mm size) for $299, and an excellent plus (EX+) for $328.  I have the Canon EF 100mm Macro, and it's been great. 

I don't know much or nothing actually about cameras but I have heard  Canon EF 100mm Macro lens is great for close ups on these shrimps.

which is what I have in mind for my canon

You'll be able to get plenty of detail out of that 100mm.  If you were going to do other macro work outside where you couldn't get as close to your subject, then the 180mm is a bit of a better choice as you can be farther away (think of spooking the bugs or butterflies) but since we have a captive subject, the 100mm will have plenty of reach.  Also, that is an older lens (which is just fine) and so you can probably buy near your price range, and if you decide 6 months down the road that you're not using it a lot, you'd be able to sell for pretty close to what you paid today - pretty minimal risk of the price going down a lot more on them.