Breeder Box??

SOTG402

I really like them for isolating shrimp due to selective breeding, quarantine or temporarily housing shrimp. The only downside is the intake and outtake on them are not the best because the flow creates air pockets which then restrict the outflow.

I really like them for isolating shrimp due to selective breeding, quarantine or temporarily housing shrimp. The only downside is the intake and outtake on them are not the best because the flow creates air pockets which then restrict the outflow.

really depends on which model you use, internal or external. i'm guessing OP uses internal for his fish.

but you are spot on for the usage.

really depends on which model you use, internal or external. i'm guessing OP uses internal for his fish.

but you are spot on for the usage.

The ones that give me issues are the medium sized external ones. To solve the intake/outflow issue I bought a small pump and stuck it onto the intake part :)

I used the large marina one for my berried females....once they dropped the babies I put them back in the main tank and raised the babies until 3 weeks old to help get them a start.  I used a piece of dirty filter floss for biofilm for the babies and mommas to eat of while in the box.  I also used an airstone fed thru the middle hole to provide extra oxygen, and then found a small filter that I could fit inside the box that had a sponge on it more recently.

I raised a batch of 12 Super red cherries in a medium Marina breeder box for 2 months with great success,,, other than 2 got sucked into the main tank! As others said make sure the out-flow (back into the tank) is outfitted with a piece of filter sponge cut to the exact size so the shrimplets don't get sucked out in the main tank! It will need to be cleaned once a week as it builds up debris and will raise the water level with-in the box and will cause over-flow back into the main tank!

Another thing I found out is using the proper pumps size (PSI) for each size (volume) of breeder box/type. One has to play with different pump volumes to get it just right. An air valve adjuster helps with a pump that has greater PSI output as well.  

post-3228-0-20878800-1455842932_thumb.jp