RODI Waste water

adrand

I just got my first RODI filter in order to save myself from buying buckets of it at the lfs. I never realized how much waste water it produces. I know I can use some for watering plants and gardens but considering it is winter here in new england that wont be happening anytime soon. Does anyone use the waste water in non shrimp tanks?

I have a planted tank with fish and some rcs culls that i currently use tap water in now. Was thinking i could use the waste water in that. The parameters of the waste water is tds 190 kh 2 and gh 5. Could i treat it with seachem safe and use it in that tank or am i missing something? Is it unsafe for the fish?

Since RO flushes the membrane backwards to clean,  I'm guessing you will have higher concentrations of the minerals and other material being removed.  I thing it would be fine for garden or indoor plants due to these extra goodies.  Someone with more Aqua. experience should answer your tank question. ,,,,Mike

I agree with OEM, as the waste water is carrying away the contaminates and minerals the RO membrane is rejecting. The waste water is passing through your pre-filters first so if they are new the water has had a lot removed before reaching the RO membrane. It is kind of a tradeoff as on one hand the waste water is pre-filtered thus better than tap, but then on the other you may have a higher concentration of the very fine contaminates that pass through the pre-filter but are rejected by the RO membrane.

For me I use remineralized RO water for all my tanks, fish or shrimp and waste water is for my terrestrial plants.

I cant see why you cant use it for other purposes. It does have a higher concentration of minerals and some people call it "contaminates" but its not an unheathly contaminate. I think some will use it to mix for neos to get KH higher.  wonder if you can use this for sulawesi shrimp?  I have well water that goes through a softener first then rodi

Thanks everyone. Exactly what i was hoping to hear. I am definitely going to try it in that tank now. Once spring arrives i will also use it in my gardens but that is aways off.