Substrate choices for OEBT

So in another thread I was having issues with National Geographic black sand and I am going to scrap it in my fluval spec 3 that  I am setting up.   I can either order and get in the city when I go next weekend  a limited choice of substrates.   I probably want OEBT but I want to have a choice to go with neos too.

I have ADA on hand but I know that won't work.  I need some help with which of the following would work best:

• Tropica Aquarium Soil/Powder (which supposedly lowers PH & KH but I have no Idea how much???)  Does anyone know?
  • Fuval Stratum
  • Flourite black sand
  • and I think Flora Max

I don't want to use gravel and I would prefer dark to black.  I'm really curious about Tropica but cannot find out what ph it buffers to.

Thank you :)

Hi Liza,

any truely inert substrate will work (even if it say it is, that not always the case)

ones i tested myself to be inert are as follows:

Carbisea moonlight sand
Carbisea golden sunset sand
ADA Mekong Sand
ADA La Plata sand

I have the La Plata sand in stock if you are not in a rush.  

Also any decorative gravel will work that are epoxy coated - not very natural looking but the coating keeps them inert

Hi Liza,

any truely inert substrate will work (even if it say it is, that not always the case)

ones i tested myself to be inert are as follows:

Carbisea moonlight sand

Carbisea golden sunset sand

ADA Mekong Sand

ADA La Plata sand

I have the La Plata sand in stock if you are not in a rush.  

Also any decorative gravel will work that are epoxy coated - not very natural looking but the coating keeps them inert

Thanks Hung  :)   I looked up La Plata and any blue shrimp would probably look great on that rather than on dark.   I will email you an order later.

Just an insight regarding very dark or black sand, you cant see them very well and babies are almost impossible to see. i had very little enjoyment and was always wondering if things were going well that tank. Switched to a white inert sand and they look great and now I can see whats going on. Love the tank now,

Just an insight regarding very dark or black sand, you cant see them very well and babies are almost impossible to see. i had very little enjoyment and was always wondering if things were going well that tank. Switched to a white inert sand and they look great and now I can see whats going on. Love the tank now,

Thanks :)  Yeah it would be nice to see them after all the effort we all put into them.  :P

I'm using CaribSea Torpedo Beach for my new OEBT/BTOE tank.  I like that it is a very light greyish color and slightly larger grains than pool filter sand.

Thanks Hung  :)   I looked up La Plata and any blue shrimp would probably look great on that rather than on dark.   I will email you an order later.

The la Plata looks awesome. I also have OEBT and I keep them on sand very close to the look of La Plata... so thats a good choice.

vpier is right, it would be very hard to see them on Black substrate.