Akadama soil, anyone using it for shrimps tanks?

I am thinking of setting up my 20 gallon long with akadama soll and wondered what the opinions are on using this for a shrimp tank.

I know Guru Amano used akadama a lot in his tanks, but maybe that was just for plants???

Love to hear any about anyone using it and how you did it.

I have had a 70 litre running 13 months on akadama Irabaki , it's been excellent , stable water parameters , breeding great with excellent survival, just set up another using it, some don't like the colour and there was talk a couple of months ago of bad akadama that was crashing , but many very successful breeder keepers use it

i am using akadama too 

i choose akadama because it is alot cheaper then other soils + i liked the color (i didn't want a black soil.. my black shrimps would look terrible on a dark soil)

it is a great product for his low price :)

Akadama doesn't buffer water nearly as well as Aquasoil, so if low PH is a goal, I would use something else.  Seems to work OK as a substrate though.  The Akadama in the picture is several years old.

post-3668-0-13760500-1458625022_thumb.jp

Akadama Ibaraki gives me great stable water parameters , been set up close on 14 months and it's my most succesful tank, and I have used BW soil, red bee and now trialing glasgarten environment and dennerle shrimp keep , but. Have also set up another akadama

For Akadama you really have to be specific about the brand as there is a wide range of akadama out there.  I used it in some of my tanks; if you are using it with RODI, it doesn't really buffer too much but rather keeps the PH from rising.I didn't have much success with it for my CRS or Taiwan bee and gave up on it for a while but it has found new life for my wild type shrimps that prefer slightly acidic PH levels (6.6 - 6.8)

I don't remember the brand but it came from a Bonsai store in Surrey, BC.  With the one i have some of grains will crumple and turn to dust / powder over time.

I haven't used it with tap water but based on the relatively weaker buffering capacity, I won;t think it would work too well with tap water.