thai micro crabs

BlueMantis

So I was browsing through amazon when I found a listing for the thai micro crab!  I've always wanted these freshwater crabs because of how they can stay underwater without some sort of exit point in the aquarium.  I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience or tips about these little dudes before I made a purchase?

So I was browsing through amazon when I found a listing for the thai micro crab!  I've always wanted these freshwater crabs because of how they can stay underwater without some sort of exit point in the aquarium.  I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience or tips about these little dudes before I made a purchase?

I've been looking at these for months and have wondered if they pose a threat to baby shrimp. I would suggest staying from that seller on Amazon, very bad rep in the shrimp world. I would put a WTB post on the market place and see if any of our sponsors or breeders have them.  I know Alpha Pro Breeders carries them.

I've been looking at these for months and have wondered if they pose a threat to baby shrimp. I would suggest staying from that seller on Amazon, very bad rep in the shrimp world. I would put a WTB post on the market place and see if any of our sponsors or breeders have them.  I know Alpha Pro Breeders carries them.

It looks as if they feed on fine particles with the bristles on their claws so I don't think a well fed crab would go after baby shrimps?  And oh ok I'd rather buy from here anyways than get it from amazon.  Hopefully somebody will have some for sale and I don't have to resort to amazon for my live invert purchase.  Thanks for the quick advice again Vpier  :D

I just tried my luck and ordered some stuff from them and the bamboo shrimp didn't make it 1 DOA and the other didn't survive 48 hours in my tank. They promptly sent me another DOA shrimp (I suspect the crazy warm MN temp + heat pack may be what did it in. The water had a foul sulfurous reek to it so I think something went real wrong). They offered to send another and I said they had done their best, no need to have them waste shipping money on 1 shrimp.

The fish on the other hand were completely fine and I think the sellers are really bad at math because I got ~100% more lambchop raspboras than I ordered and many extra of the other fish I ordered (chili rasps, celestial danios) the only ones they got the count right on were the scarlet badis. The fish are still all great. Maybe they are turning around or maybe I got lucky.

It looks as if they feed on fine particles with the bristles on their claws so I don't think a well fed crab would go after baby shrimps?  And oh ok I'd rather buy from here anyways than get it from amazon.  Hopefully somebody will have some for sale and I don't have to resort to amazon for my live invert purchase.  Thanks for the quick advice again Vpier  :D

your welcome

I have 5 in a 2.5 g badis tank densely planted with staurogyne. If you want to see them ever, you have to make sure there is not a lot of left over food or food under the plants because they will never leave. I have to sit there and really look for a while to find one. But every once in a while I'll catch them all hanging out on top of the staurogyne. They're very cool, just be warned you may never see them again once put in the tank...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A reputable seller that has micro crabs is MsJinkzd (http://msjinkzd.com/stocklist/). She also has a youtube channel where she recently posted a video discussing her suggestions on keeping them.

• 2 months later...

I've purchased micro crabs from said seller on Amazon and have had no issues at all. 

Its true that they tend to hide for most of their life. However when I compare  how long my my micro crabs and red claw crabs spend hiding I'd say it's about the same. I have lots of hiding places for my red craw crabs and the only reason it's easier to spot them is their size. 

I've never seen them catch or kill any of my drawrf shrimp but do a good job eating dead tank mates just like my snails do. 

The only issues I've had is that they are so good at hiding that I almost left a couple behind when I was moving my micro pets and select decor to a new nano tank. 

Hope this helps!