What's in certain shrimp foods?

What is it about snowflake (compressed soy hulls) that make shrimp go crazy for it? Within minutes of me dropping it in, it seems like the entire herd of shrimp has somehow smelled it and a feeding frenzy commences while other foods only attract a mlid gathering. I doubt shrimps eat soy products/hulls in the nature. Are there other foods that have such a profound effect on shrimp? Could these compounds be isolated and added other other foods? Has anyone tried mixing snowflake with other foods and see if the mixture has the same effect or if the shrimp just target the soy hulls specifically in a mixture. 

No idea why they go so crazy for it but I see similar behavior with snowflake in my tanks too. Most other foods, including the commercial stuff, don't elicit as big of a frenzy. But recently, the one thing that gets them crazier is blanched spinach. That's always a pretty big hit.

I think its a hit or miss with any type of food. Ive used snowflakes and my shrimp never swarm the flakes but in one tank they do. Same goes for other foods. One tank likes this and dont like that and etc. In my opinion, I think if starved them 1-2 days they will swarm any type of food. Again just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk