Bacterial infection Treatment

neilshieh

Hi all, 

So recently I've been looking more and more into my blue velvet tank which has been running for a while now but the population always hovers at ~10-20 for some reason. I constantly see new berried females and juvies but the population numbers seem stagnant. A while back 2-3 months after I got the initial stock, I had a massive dieoff that I couldn't figure out why. Now that I look into the tank, I realize that a lot of their bodies are milky white, like opaque. So this got me thinking that perhaps the colony has been suffering from a bacterial infection for a while that flared up every now and then. There are no other tank inhabitants, and it is heavily planted so really no reason for the population not to grow. Anyhow I recently bought melafix and maracyn 2 and have started maracyn 2 treatment. After the I run the anti biotics course, I plan on dosing melafix for a day or two afterwards (I know it's just tea tree oil, but can't hurt) and going to get some alder cones for good measure. If there's no improvement I'll buy some seachem paraguard and see how that goes. 

That's not the main problem though, I'm looking at my tiger shrimp tank and I'm super paranoid and am wondering if they have a bacterial infection too. They've been healthy, gotten massive and really colorful. Long antennae and no missing limbs, but their bodies are slightly hazy and others are more clear. It's not like milky white but more like a white haze similar to the first 4 pictures here (https://www.google.com/search?q=tiger+shrimp+with+bacterial+infection&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1436&bih=782&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw3IOuw7zMAhUO92MKHUG2AzQQ_AUIBigB#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=tiger+shrimp+aquarium&imgrc=QZOAzrXfQ-42bM%3A) Should I be concerned? They're breeding extremely slowly, but I don't really do much to that tank (no WC, occasional feedings) and it's super lowtech and everything looks verdant and thrives. Also, the temps in the past couple of months have been pretty chilly without a heater which is why I don't think they were breeding, but I saw one berried 1-2 months back. 

Anyways, tips advice and comments welcome!

Spoke with Rachel O'Leary and it seems that the "cloudiness" in some of those google pictures are the result from camera flash at a bad angle. Tiger shrimps should be noticeably transparent. bummer gonna start that tank on maracyn 2 as well then :/. I just finished maracyn 2 regime on the blue velvet tank, a lot less shrimp and I'm not really sure where the other infected ones went because I'm not seeing dead bodies. Gonna do some deep cleaning and pop in a bunch of alder cones and hope everything went alright. All the shrimps I see now are clear bodied so fingers crossed! 

Not so sure I would use any meds if they aren't dying. Slow breeding rates can be from many different things.

Milky white tissue is muscular necrosis. Can be caused from internal bacterial infections. But check all your water parameters first (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, KH, GH, TDS, temperature) just to be certain those aren't causing any issues.

If the shrimp are still moving around actively and eating, I would say they should be fine. Have they been molting fine? Maybe they've always been that way and you are just now focusing on it? If you can, post pics.