Losing Shrimp. Advise On My Parameters..

Hi everyone,

My name is Patrick. I'm a firefighter from NJ and recently got into the nano tank shrimp hobby. I purchased a 5.5 gallon tank and cycled it for about 3 weeks before adding 12 shrimp. Things were going ok and then I added about 15 more shrimp and 5 Thai Micro Crabs. I invested quite a bit into the shrimp I bought and I'm losing them at about a rate of 1 per day. Very frustrating. Initially I thought the crabs were attacking them so i removed them, but it still continues. My current parameters and tank are the following-

ADA aqua soil with 2 pieces of driftwood 

Ph- 6.0

Ammonia- 0.25

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 5.0

My ammonia has gone to 0 at a point, but sometimes comes up a bit to 0.25. My Ph and nitrites never fluctuate and my nitrate stays under 10. I know 0 are perfect readings, but I don't think it's that bad to lose as many as I have, right? Can my water be too soft?

I've attached a picture below. I know it's plain. But, I'm a minimalist and I like the very plain dark hardscape with the shrimp that make it pop. This picture was taken when I first added the initial 12.

IMG_2369.JPG

Hi Pat, and welcome to TSS.

-What kind of shrimp did you add?  (In the pic it kinda looks like Crystal Red Shrimp but am I also seeing yellow Neocaridina (cherry) shrimp?

-What water are you using?  (tap or RO)  If RO, what remineralizer are you using?

-Do you by chance know the hardness of your water?  (GH and KH)

11 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

Hi Pat, and welcome to TSS.

-What kind of shrimp did you add?  (In the pic it kinda looks like Crystal Red Shrimp but am I also seeing yellow Neocaridina (cherry) shrimp?

-What water are you using?  (tap or RO)  If RO, what remineralizer are you using?

-Do you by chance know the hardness of your water?  (GH and KH)

Hi,

- I have Crystal Red and had various Neocaridinia Davidi.

- I'm using tap water with Seachem Prime.

- I actually do not know the hardness of the water. I only have the API Master Kit at the moment.

The only group of shrimp that have survived from the day I got them is the 6 Crystal Reds and my Green Jades. Everything else has almost completely gone even with me trying to always be on top of things. 

Another worry of mine is that here in NJ it's very hot and humid right now and my water temperature seems to be consistently 78-82. Mostly 80-81. Is it too warm in there for them? As per care sheets it's at the top of their tolerance, but doesn't seem to be too high. I'm kind of dumbfounded....

A pH of 6.0 (and possibly less b/c API test only goes to 6) is a bit outside of the "accepted" low ranges for Neocaridina, and could likely be the cause of your die-offs especially when considering that your Crystals are doing fine.  It is interesting to note that the Green Jades have survived in these parameters.  The following link gives general water parameter guidance for dwarf shrimp.

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

It looks like you have a at least a couple inches of ADA substrate, which is fine for the Crystals, but could result in pHs lower than 6.0.  My own tanks have reasonably deep substrate (Controsoil) and I see pHs around 5.7.  

It is possible to keep Neos and Cards together in the same tank (hey, it's happening in your tank on some level) but most that do find success do so at more neutral pHs so they can achieve a "middle ground" where both shrimp can thrive.  ADA Aqua Soil has strong buffering capability that pulls you to the far (low) end of the spectrum.  It is likely that this tank can be a successful home for your Bees (Crystals), and perhaps the Green Jades, but as you are experiencing, keeping other neos may be a challenge.

I don't see any thing for them to eat, not more food but need some moss and leaves.  And green algae on the sides of the glass.  My shrimp seems to do better with more plants.

I would only put in moss and dried almond leaves, take every thing else out.

only clean the front glass.  looks to clean.

1. Plants and mosses will help with your ammonia and nitrate problem as well as provide area for biofilm/epiphytes to grow for the shrimp to eat.

2. You need to get a GH/KH test kit and TDS meter, because proper water hardness is quite important or your shrimp will die when they try to molt.

3. 78-81 is way too warm. You need to drop it like 8 or 10 degrees. Consider a clamp on cooling fan.

Crypts are an easy to grow plant that is in all pet stores. I am experiencing the heat issue myself and as soon as payday comes around will be looking to get a fan or two for my tanks. 'till then I am carefully dropping in RO water ice cubes to cool my water down, GH/KH kits are available on line, Drs Foster and Smith carry them. TDS meters are easy to get on Amazon for a good price and are one of the best pieces of shrimp keeping equipment out there. Your hardscape is lovely.

=^._.^=

Ok guys, I have added a fan that has brought my temps down to about 75. I added some crushed coral into my filter media and my Ph has come up to 6.6 at the moment. I also purchased some more nutritional food- Shirakura shrimp food, that they seem to really like. I'm going to give it a try again with some Sky Blue Velvets and see if they survive.