Biofilm Reactor testing for increasing baby yields

I've been testing moving media biofilm reactors in my shrimp tanks for about 3 months now and I am very pleased with the results.  I tested it longest in my 29 gallon tank which had an prior issues with random deaths or cannibalism and very little babies to be found.   After adding the reactor I'm starting to see tons of babies and my tank's cycle is definitely stronger as my media started to turn dark brown but has now faded to a light brown now that it is balanced.

I would love to hear your thoughts about using a reactor like this to create biofilm from their ammonia and nitrite and having it throughout the tank for shrimp to consume. 

I have toyed with my own diy versions using small water bottles, sponges, and k1 micro. I'm keeping them in my guppy and snail tank so they will cycle faster, so I can't say if they help or not with shrimp, but in theory, these filters should make biofilm more accessible to all shrimp than a sponge filter. They require very little air to run, don't take up much space, and are suppose to be very efficient at converting ammonia to nitrate. They are also fun to make, and don't cost much if you do the diy route. Of course, the main reason why I made some in the first place is because I think they look cool. My next version will include a pvc elbow in the top of the bottle to better direct the outflowing water.

6 hours ago, Brolly33 said:

How is the noise level in the room?

What did you use to guard the inlet against shrimp entry?

The bubbling is no different then my other filters, but when the water gets low enough so that the outlet is exposed I can kind of hear the media tumbling in addition to the bubbling.

as for the inlet, i'm using 316 stainless steel mesh to keep it shrimp safe.

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I love this idea. The bio wheels are supposed to shed a lot of bacteria when they're used so it would make sense that the bacteria would be dispersed throughout the water column and the tank. I might have to try one of these! [emoji1303]

I'm interested in helping my shrimp!! I've had random deaths and few shrimplets ... do you have a tutorial or anything on how to build this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, CJones said:

I'm interested in helping my shrimp!! I've had random deaths and few shrimplets ... do you have a tutorial or anything on how to build this?

I build them myself using a 3D printer and other materials and they are available on my website elevateshrimp.com.  Not sure how much a build tutorial would help build your own haha

I build them myself using a 3D printer and other materials and they are available on my website elevateshrimp.com.  Not sure how much a build tutorial would help build your own haha

I checked out your web site! I totally want to buy a couple of these! You have some interesting stuff!