Amazonian shrimp species...anyone ever seen these?

Hi gang,

I am aware of some shrimp species that are found in Amazonian waters. They hail from the genera Pseudopalaemon (P. amozonensis) and Macrobrachium. Has anyone ever seen or heard of any of these shrimps being imported for the hobby? If so, I'm very curious about your experiences with them, for some obvious reasons!

I mean, AMAZONIAN SHRIMP!!! HELLO!:jig:

Pseudopalaemon_amazonensis.jpg

P. amazonensis

gk_shrimp_macrobrachium_lanchesterii02.jpg

Macrobrachium sp.

Pseudopalaemon is an algal feeder primarily, whereas the Macrobrachium tends to feed more on leaf litter detritus and fungi.And of course, they come from blackwater environments. I recall seeing something somewhere from Secrets Farms on commercially available Macrobrachium; I'll have to follow up on that! 

So, if anyone has any input, I'd really love to hear it!

Thanks!

Scott

I've looked at these before, and they seem to be fairly similar to there North American counterparts.

If you wanted an equivalent, why not try to raise glass shrimp or Macrobrachium shrimp?

The one caveat is that most of the Pseudopalaemon shrimp sold in pet stores are not able to reproduce in freshwater. However, there are a few species found in North America that are able to reproduce. I would think we could just collect those and trade them.

2 hours ago, pucksr said:

I've looked at these before, and they seem to be fairly similar to there North American counterparts.

If you wanted an equivalent, why not try to raise glass shrimp or Macrobrachium shrimp?

The one caveat is that most of the Pseudopalaemon shrimp sold in pet stores are not able to reproduce in freshwater. However, there are a few species found in North America that are able to reproduce. I would think we could just collect those and trade them.

Excellent information! I noticed that Macrobrachium has like 100 or more species, so it's pretty vast...I would be very curious which species people have kept...especially if they WERE able to secure the South American species!

Thanks,

Scott