The "Curse of The Kissing Gourami"

Tannin Aquatics

We all remember those first aquarium we were exposed to, right? You know, the ones that started this whole crazy hobby adventure for us? 

I remember an aquarium, way back when I was probably 8-9 years old, which captivated my attention. It was at my sister's friend's house- right smack in the entryway to their home: What I believe to be a 40 gallon "Show" tank (based on my recollection of its size and proportions). It was on one of those ubiquitous metal type stands, straight out of the early 1970's, decorated with hanging fishing nets and dried starfish- you know, pure kitsch!

[IMG]

Yet, this an captivated me like few other things did at the time. I used to love when my sister would drag me over to her friend's house, because I'd just park myself in front of the tank and do what comes naturally for a fish geek- Just fully "geek out" in front of it, taking it all in...

In addition to the turquoise-colored gravel, petrified wood, and plastic plants, the tank had another appeal for me: A cool variety of fishes, including what I thought was the coolest thing out there at the time: a group of "Kissing Gourami", Helostoma temminckii. Of course, at the time, I was enamored by its goofy appearance, calm demeanor, and the iconic "kissing" behavior that would occasionally occur. (click to read more)

[IMG]