24k Golden back vs yellow neos

Nubster

So I'm looking at pictures of shrimp on the internet and on shrimp sales sites and like a lot of shrimp...seems like one person's idea of what represents a Golden back can be quite different than another person. So...there's two sellers that I see that have the shrimp that I really like which is what drew me to them. Could be the lighting and the photography...but these shrimp have a sparkle to them...almost as if there was glitter on the shell. And the color is deeper...not bright and almost with a kinda green hue which I really like. Other places are selling what seems to be standard yellows with a racing strip as golden back. 

So my questions are....is there a standard as to what a golden back is?

And do they breed true at all or will a colony require heavy culling?

14151869_1105464876157726_1427211075_o.jpg

small_IMG_0135.jpg

I think that any yellow shrimp with a racing stripe is considered a golden back. Joe's Aqua actually carries 2 types, one being the gold 24k line, which is more intense. I think that the racing stripe really sets these shrimp apart from regular yellow shrimp. I ordered some from a different seller, and they look fantastic over black substrate. They really do glow. I lost them all due to some water issues, though they were more sensitive than all my other neos. The 24k version is next on my shrimp list.

The first picture you posted has shrimp that look more like green jades. Joe's also carries a line of jades with golden backs, as well as their regular green jades. Both are beautiful, but still expensive.

Yeah...the top ones do look like Green Jade but I think they were listed as Golden backs. I need to clarify with the seller. I like them a lot whatever they are. Those 24K are super nice. I've had yellows before...but nothing like those. I'll have to check out Joe's golden back jades. Those sound like a winner. 

Do you have any idea if they bred true or at least a large percentage true? 

They probably don't breed as true as other colors, due to the fact that they are a newer development. Most of the pictures I've seen of colonies show a mix of shades of green, some more yellow, and others more blue. I'm not sure how green jades were created, though I always suspected they were blue fleshed shrimp with yellow shells. Joe's had the golden back jades for $9 they last time they offered them, though it seems that they keep both jade lines together. The racing stripe looks great on yellow shrimp, and the green jades, so you can't really go wrong with either. I thought about Yellow Kong Kongs, but they don't look as flashy (not that I've seen them in person), but at least you can keep them with neos and not have to worry about them breeding together. I want to get some green jades to keep with my TangTais, and then set up a tank for royal blues and yellow back line shrimp.

I got confirmation that the first pic is in fact green jades. I'm reading they are pretty low % as far as breeding true. Not sure about the Golden Backs...I'd love to get some more info on them...particularly the 24k but I suspect like you say...probably not a high % either. I guess as long as they aren't throwing a lot of odd colors it wouldn't be too bad. But I also hate to pay a premium price and degrade the colony by allowing normal yellows taint the gene pool and at the same time...I don't really want to setup a cull tank and deal with constantly catching out the less desirable shrimp. I guess anyways I roll...that's something that will need done to some extent or another if I want to maintain really nice shrimp. Guess it's something I need to think about and decide how involved I want to get with shrimp again. I know the wife won't be happy at all if I try to setup a bunch of tanks. She's super cool with the one so far and I think I can make a good case for a second because I'm really wanting to do a Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp tank at some point. But to squeeze in a third or forth cull tank...I suppose I can throw together a super cheap 10g tank and keep out of the way in the basement just for culls. Bare bones low maintenance style tank just for the neos that I cull from either tank since I plan to have two shrimp types in each tank. Cardinals and a contrasting color neo in one...and my OEBT culls and a contrasting neo in the other...assuming I can keep the OEBT's alive this time around. Not had much luck with them in the past. Guess we'll see what happens. The Green Jades look amazing but I don't think I want to do $7-9 per shrimp for something that has a low % of breeding true. So I might just go with the 24k yellows for about half the price. Still an awesome looking shrimp for sure. 

There will always be culls with neos, it seems. You could always separate the culls in a breeder box, instead of keeping them in another tank. That way, you can keep an eye on their development. Any that turn out to be late bloomers can be added back in to the main tank, and any that are duds can be sold off or moved easily. It won't be pretty, but it's an option. I actually like seeing variations among my tank populations. The great thing about neos is that they breed very fast in favorable conditions, so expect prices to come down soon. Even if you save up to buy just a few of a strain, they can fill up a tank in a few months. Take your time getting new shrimp. It's easy to get swept up with all the different types available. I lost a lot of shrimp by getting too many too fast. I think a true sign of success is when the shrimp born in your tank start making the next generation. Getting them to breed is easier than raising the babies to adulthood.

A basement sounds like a great place for a shrimp rack...

Green Jades came from orange shrimp.

Green Jades have a very low cull rate depending on where you purchase them.

The cull rate for my Green Jades are roughly 5%.

It's best to ask the seller what the cull rates are and hope their honest.

Don't believe everything you read online. 

Most shrimps are very stable thanks to importing.

Everything I could find was from 2+ year ago so I didn't know if the rates improved since then. There doesn't seem to be more current discussion on the topic which is why I asked. Most current I read which I believe was a thread on here was that the cull rate on green jades was like 40%, at least for that particular breeder. Maybe they started with an unstable line or even started with some orange and were developing their own line. I don't know. But that concerned me. 5% I could definitely deal with. Even 10%. I just don't want to have to deal with nearly half the babies needing culled every time a new clutch was hatched. 

10 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Most shrimps are very stable thanks to importing.

Some.  Not all vars. Especially when a new var is released. Now many breeders are rushing to be the first to get out the new color or pattern and the cull rates are pretty high- which frustrates me. 

I'm told there's also the "jades" from a yellow strain.  Perhaps those may have a higher cull rate?

2 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Some.  Not all vars. Especially when a new var is released. Now many breeders are rushing to be the first to get out the new color or pattern and the cull rates are pretty high- which frustrates me. 

I'm told there's also the "jades" from a yellow strain.  Perhaps those may have a higher cull rate?

Yes. That's why I said some :P

The green jades offsprings I have are about 5% orange 95% green jade.