New tank could display shrimp great

MABJ

Hey guys,

One of our threads recently discussed this tank. I got in touch with the owners, and I really like their vision and their love for tanks. This was actually invertebrate inspired, and the dimensions should be great for showcasing your show shrimp in a really neat way. 

I like that for around $100 you have everything knocked out at once. They send the light, filter, tank and other nifty gifts. It hits my checklist, so I really would appreciate it if you would at least share this with other people if you think it's a good idea! 

846e6d1c3b11136273d3517e0d5af8fb_large.p

If you would like to support them you can do it there in any amount, or you can order a tank.

They even have an option to add on a UV light, which would allow you to produce veggies and stuff from your fish tank to eat.

Here's their disclaimer:

"Herbs and micro-greens can be extremely great filters and will thrive with the EcoQube, but for that same reason, it is EXTREMELY unsafe for food consumption. Chemicals used for aquariums are NOT safe for human consumption and the plants WILL soak these chemicals up. Consumption of the plants grown in the EcoQube is NOT recommended for human consumption."

Note: The large type is theirs, not mine. ;)

I think I am blind....how big is the tank?  I can't find anything that says gallons but I didn't watch the video.  Love the look of it just as far as tanks go:)

In the comments, they mention the one pictured is 9.5" x 7", though they're considering the final to be a 7" cube. They are still taking comments from contributors before the final molds are made. Sounds like a very small nano tank.

Here's their disclaimer:

"Herbs and micro-greens can be extremely great filters and will thrive with the EcoQube, but for that same reason, it is EXTREMELY unsafe for food consumption. Chemicals used for aquariums are NOT safe for human consumption and the plants WILL soak these chemicals up. Consumption of the plants grown in the EcoQube is NOT recommended for human consumption."

Note: The large type is theirs, not mine. ;)

With the UV light, it becomes safe. It also says that.

I think I am blind....how big is the tank?  I can't find anything that says gallons but I didn't watch the video.  Love the look of it just as far as tanks go:)

It will be between 1.5-2g for the entire system I believe. The dimensions will look almost exactly like what you see there. They're considering the cube, but it's a super small chance. If they announce it to be cube shaped, I will not support it anymore. I don't like cubes for shrimp for some reason.

With the UV light, it becomes safe. It also says that.

I just looked through it a 2nd time and didn't find that anywhere. :(  Perhaps I am missing it somehow?  There's warnings several times not to eat food from it: "There are simply too many unknowns, and nobody wants a case of salmonella poisoning! It is not recommended to eat anything you produce through the EcoQube."  It's fine if you stick to pretty plants to look at though.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kevinzl/ecoqube-desktop-ecosystem-that-grow-flowers-and-he

Hmm. What I said is what I took from their comments to me and this in the FAQ.

"We originally built the Aquaponics filter in the EcoQube with commercial use in mind so it can be scaled for food production and run clean water through plants we harvest from the filter but a typical small aquarium will not require UV sterilization although it helps keep the water extra clear and clean!"

But yes I would only stick to pretty flowers/plants that smell good like chocolate mint.

Wasn't there a thread on TPT about growing edible plants in aquariums recently? I think depending on what chemicals we use in our tanks it could potentially be safe. For example, in shrimp tanks we tend to dose much less to our water. No ferts, no excel, and in the case of RO water no dechlor even. I haven't looked into exactly what is in the remineralizers that we use with RO water but I think there is potential that the plants could be safe for human consumption. The disclaimer is likely there so people don't accidentally consume harmful chemicals and then sue the company for advertising as being safe for growing edible plants. 

I had a discussion with a respected member on TPT who said the creators were dismissive to some of that person's concerns. It made me concerned, but didn't dissuade me from the pledge.

That person thinks the tank is of shoddy design with aquaponics as an afterthought, and pointed out that the company uses pictures of other tanks to represent what they say they can do. 

Not sure what to think about the new news. I still think if they do it right, it'll be good. 

Yes, there's someone there who uses their goldfish to grow lettuce and tomatoes.

Think that was Dogfish wasn't it? I know people use Tilapia fish to do this all the time.

I had a discussion with a respected member on TPT who said the creators were dismissive to some of that person's concerns. It made me concerned, but didn't dissuade me from the pledge.

That person thinks the tank is of shoddy design with aquaponics as an afterthought, and pointed out that the company uses pictures of other tanks to represent what they say they can do. 

Not sure what to think about the new news. I still think if they do it right, it'll be good. 

Which pictures of other tanks? So far all I've seen were pictures of their tanks? Not really sure I've seen other tanks to represent what they can do.