Jump to content

Mixing SS GH+ and GH


Recommended Posts

My guess is your container is slightly small (smaller than five gallons), or your scoop of GH+ was a bit much (supposed to be level).  One last consideration is that an error was made during the GH titration, maybe test again.  

 

When I use one scoop in 5 gallons it is always GH 5-6, never less and never more.

 

One last possibility is that there was residual GH left over from previous water batches.  Was the 5 gallon container "rinsed" or could there have been leftover GH+ from other batches?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know a place to source small little scoops?  I'd like to drop GH as well but have stayed with full scoops because of consistency.

 

My kingdom for a couple scoops sized to bring SS GH to 4 (in a 5 gallon container).

 

I don't mind pouring out a little for the homies like ClownP but would love scoopage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah what I ended up doing was adding more RODI water in, to lower the GH back to around 5, which dropped TDS to around 80-85.

 

In the future, I will just start off with half scoop, and add a bit more to hit a GH of 4-5.

 

In terms of TDS, 80-85 might be a big low, ill need to find a cheap solution to raise it a bit to at least 110-120 for the PRLs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think the amount of ingredients are consistent inside each container.  My 230g container of GH+ must have more than normal amount of calcium and magnesium over other minerals because it doesn't take much to raise my GH.  When I throw in 1/4 tsp in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water I get 43 TDS with a GH of 4.  Half a tsp would double the TDS at 86 and I get a GH of 8.  Salty Shrimp might have a bad quality control problem.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zenster said:

I don't think the amount of ingredients are consistent inside each container.  My 230g container of GH+ must have more than normal amount of calcium and magnesium over other minerals because it doesn't take much to raise my GH.  When I throw in 1/4 tsp in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water I get 43 TDS with a GH of 4.  Half a tsp would double the TDS at 86 and I get a GH of 8.  Salty Shrimp might have a bad quality control problem.

 

 

 

Try mixing the salts up(in the container) before scooping out your normal amounts.  This same thing is super common for saltwater tanks when mixing the salt for it.  over time the different minerals settle out in the bucket/container and some times you scoop up more calcium, other times more magnesium, etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

 

Try mixing the salts up(in the container) before scooping out your normal amounts.  This same thing is super common for saltwater tanks when mixing the salt for it.  over time the different minerals settle out in the bucket/container and some times you scoop up more calcium, other times more magnesium, etc...

 

Thanks for the tip but I've been shaking the container and stirring the contents prior to use since I bought this stuff.  Might have to look into liquid alternatives as a substitute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zenster said:

 

Thanks for the tip but I've been shaking the container and stirring the contents prior to use since I bought this stuff.  Might have to look into liquid alternatives as a substitute.

 

check with @bostoneric with discobee.  He sells a liquid version gh & kh ( blue wizard & kh builder).  I have used these and have very consistent results

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

 

check with @bostoneric with discobee.  He sells a liquid version gh & kh ( blue wizard & kh builder).  I have used these and have very consistent results

Thanks for the referral.  I found a local source not far from me that sells SL Aqua products.  Blue Wizard will end up costing less over here because I won't have to pay for shipping.  Does Discobee sell livestock?  There is no link on the website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zenster said:

Thanks for the referral.  I found a local source not far from me that sells SL Aqua products.  Blue Wizard will end up costing less over here because I won't have to pay for shipping.  Does Discobee sell livestock?  There is no link on the website.

 

Thats great!

I dont know if Discobee sells livestock or not.  You should message him on here, he is a sponser.  @bostoneric

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...