New plants wiped out Taiwan Bees?

Tpshrimper

So at this point I'm mostly asking this because I'm curious but I'll go ahead and give the long story.  I ordered some new mosses from (what I assumed, and may still be) a reputable source.  Don't believe they are on here.  I was planning on starting a couple new tanks, so put the moss into my Taiwan bee tank to let it grow out before the new tanks are ready.   I rinsed the plants with Pure RO/DI water thoroughly and put them in the tank.  The only other thing I did to the tank was add a small amount of glasgarten shrimp dinner, from a half empty bottle I've used for months. 

Within 30 minutes the shrimp started acting extremely erratically.  Like they do when a female molts, but x100.  And ALL the shrimp were freaking out.  Male/female, young and old.  I tried to remain calm and not overreact besides removing the new moss.  At about 90 minutes the babies/juvies started to die, and in total I lost about 30-40.  Shortly after that, the berried females started to keel over, then even the males color started fading and movement ground to a halt.  Had about 30 adults and at least half bit the dust.  The shrimps front legs and grabber things would twitch unnaturally and they would then die within the hour.  Was having great success with TBs for the first time and it came crashing down like a house of cards.  

At this point I did about a 40% water change and it seems to have helped but unfortunately the damage was done.  Anyone have any thoughts on what could have happened?  I couldn't believe how quick it all went down. 

This forum has been incredible for me over the past year, and typing this out to you guys has been pretty therapeutic.  Trying to find the lesson here, should I have a quarantine tank for plants?  Maybe put low grade cherries in there so I will notice deaths?  Should I stick with trusted sellers who are on here and other forums?  Hopefully I can figure this out, and someone else can read this and prevent this from happening to them.  Thanks guys 🤙  

From your description, it sounds like other instances where tanks have been exposed to pesticides.  By chance did you, your hands, or any of the containers used potentially have "bug spray" or something similar on them?

There was a video posted on here a few years back of a CRS tank (literally hundreds) dying off after being exposed to some chemical.  If I recall correctly, the keeper may have exposed his hands to dog flea medication and then transferred from his hands to the tank.  

I can't speak for the plant's, but I don't think I even own bug spray or pesticide.  I can't imagine a scenario where I got it on my hands and my hands did touch the plant's but not touch the water as I used tongs.  I do have dogs who take flea and tick medicine orally, but would that be strong enough just in a dogs coat to transfer to my hands to the plant's?