Tips on moving shrimp from neo to card parameters?

aotf

I’d like to move a couple TTs from a neo tank to a card tank and was hoping to get tips from people who had also moved shrimp across dramatic parameter changes.

Ideally I would move a couple young adult females who are already saddled and have them survive long enough to berry and have a clutch of babies (2-3 months?) although I know I’m just asking for trouble. 

I could also move some juvies but then I lose control of the sex of the shrimp I’m moving and the timeline gets much longer since I have to wait for them to mature.

I’m familiar with the basics of moving shrimp to a new tank (drip acclimation, marching params when possible), I’m asking more about tips specific to moving between neo/card parameters since the differences are so large.  

I moved a colony of royal blues from card to neo params several months back.  They went from a ph of 6.5 and tds of 140 to a ph of 7.6 and a tds of 200.  I just did a slow drip acclimation, about 1 drop a sec for 6 hrs.  Only ended up losing one shrimp and it was the oldest female.  Just do it very slowly and you should be fine.

2 hours ago, sparky4056 said:

I moved a colony of royal blues from card to neo params several months back.  They went from a ph of 6.5 and tds of 140 to a ph of 7.6 and a tds of 200.  I just did a slow drip acclimation, about 1 drop a sec for 6 hrs.  Only ended up losing one shrimp and it was the oldest female.  Just do it very slowly and you should be fine.

Thats an impressive parameter difference! 

How are they doing in the long term? 

I’ve transferred a couple TTs from the neo to card tank already, they all handled the new tank fine at first but died off after a couple weeks/months. I’m worried they’ll survive the drip acclimation and just kick the bucket within a month or two but I really don’t know if there’s anything I could do about it.

I've had them in the new parameters for a couple of months now.  Haven't lost any but it did take them awhile to start breeding. I'm just now seeing a few babies pop up.  

I even acclimated a few baby cards with them from when it had active substrate and they are growing and thriving too.  Here's one of my hard water blue bolts

20180507_213938.jpg

1 hour ago, sparky4056 said:

I even acclimated a few baby cards with them from when it had active substrate and they are growing and thriving too. 

That’s even more impressive! 

Good looking BB, too. Where did you get them? Sounds like a hardy stock, I managed to kill off half of mine because the pH was off by half a degree. -_- Pretty sure they wouldn’t make it in my neo tanks for more than a week.

The parents of that blue bolt are from flip aquatics.  I wouldn't recommend trying to keep them in tiger params, I think I just got lucky with that.  The thing with keeping shrimp in drastically different params is that you don't see any breeding.  That's why I switched the tigers from acidic conditions back to their normal slightly basic harder water.  I didn't see a single baby in the first setup.

7 hours ago, sparky4056 said:

Beautiful blue bolt.. I had CRS in 8.6ph tds 180 and after a month they all died lol..failed project. Hopefully yours do well, its a first I've heard of such a thing. Havent been around long enough though.

1 hour ago, sparky4056 said:

The parents of that blue bolt are from flip aquatics.  I wouldn't recommend trying to keep them in tiger params, I think I just got lucky with that.  The thing with keeping shrimp in drastically different params is that you don't see any breeding.  That's why I switched the tigers from acidic conditions back to their normal slightly basic harder water.  I didn't see a single baby in the first setup.

Ah, makes sense. Only heard good things about Flip so far.

I actually got some TTs raised in card parameters from Joe Aqua and adapted them to neo params. I lost most of them but the survivors started breeding like crazy and I have a colony in pH 8 water. Now I’m trying to move them BACK to card parameters and they don’t like it. Derp.