DIY Air manifolds?

I'm fixing to purchase an Alita 6A pump to start a small rack of about 8 tanks. They will be 9 gallon tanks with probably just a basic dual sponge filter in each. I wanted to see what you guys do for making these manifolds. I know I could buy one of those metal manifolds with adjustment valves on them but I'd rather have consistent air pressure across all tanks. I'm not the greatest plumber, so any tips and/or pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks!

DIY PVC loop. this should be your only option.  any of those manifolds will need constant attention for pressure adjustments.  

A loop system ensures even pressure to all valves.

check out teds YT video. super simple to make can even be small for just a few tanks.

Thanks for posting that video, Eric... seems pretty straight forward. I only have 4 tanks coming right now, but I want to go ahead and run a closed loop manifold to accommodate 12 tanks.  I have only planned for 8 tanks total but you know how these things go. 😉 I can always shut the valves for unused outputs but don't want to have to get in there to add on to the manifold later down the road.

So for a 4 foot wide rack with 12 tanks, would 1/2" PVC be sufficient for manifold material or should I go bigger diameter? Will the Alita 6A run 12 tanks okay?

1/2" is plenty.  I use that for my 6' rack with 12 tanks with approx 20+ outlets.  always better to add a bunch more outlets. you never know. comes in handy for breeder boxes or etc.

AL6 should be able to, but kinda depends on depth of the water and such.   have you already purchased the AL6?  

You can see my srhimp room here.

how its the pipe and the setup.

I use cheap airpump, hailea v60 , for 20 tanks...

It run easily 30 airfilters...

45 minutes ago, bostoneric said:

1/2" is plenty.  I use that for my 6' rack with 12 tanks with approx 20+ outlets.  always better to add a bunch more outlets. you never know. comes in handy for breeder boxes or etc.

AL6 should be able to, but kinda depends on depth of the water and such.   have you already purchased the AL6?  

Yeah, Just bought the Alita 6 earlier. Tank depth is roughly 12", so lets say 9-10" water depth.

45 minutes ago, nicpapa said:

You can see my srhimp room here.

how its the pipe and the setup.

I use cheap airpump, hailea v60 , for 20 tanks...

It run easily 30 airfilters...

Nice! Why the separated areas towards the front of some of your tanks? Previous HMF? Feeding area?

I cant agree enough with the earlier post about adding extra valves. Im now having to either unhook my air system or add valves in place both bad options.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I finally got my manifold built. I decided to run only two shelves because I didn't want to deal with tanks near the floor plus I doubt the alita 6 would have enough power for all those outlets. I did include 2 extra valves on each shelf for breeder boxes and whatnot. With only running 2 rows of tanks, I'll have plenty of space above them for maintenance and whatnot. I wanted to add pvc glue for the pvc connectors on manifold but decided I'd probably screw up the shape of it, being as the glue sets almost immediately. I guess I could have made an alignment mark on the connectors after assembling it but according to the video Eric posted, glue is not needed if they fit snugly. I did do a quick test on it with valves closed for a minute. No obvious leaks, so I guess it's good. :)

UxRvyJt.jpg