External Filter Question?

Doc4PC2

Has anyone used an Ehieim Classic 2211 External Canister filter with media for 40 gallons before?

I was thinking about using it in a 16 gallon Mr Aqua tank?

Or go with a row of 6 sponge filters with three Tom's mini canister filters.

or a Penguin biowheel 100 - one on each end, plus the three sponge filters

or a Penguin Biowheel 200 on one end and three sponge filters

Or do six sponge filters and no biowheel, or canister, or anything else. Just a row of sponge filters and that's it with a couple of air stones.

This tank will be for TB shrimp.

Or what about a marineland HOT Magnum filter?  Or does anyone suggest a good external canister filter, so that only the intake and outtake have to go into the tank

and nothing else showing.

I use a Eheim 2211 canister for my 10g DO Aqua! & 11.4 Mr. Aqua shrimp tanks. I will be using Eheim 2213 for my (2) 17.1g Mr Aqua aquariums though.

What do you think of them, DETAquarium?  Do you like them, are they fairly easy to take care of?

Do they do a good job on keeping the water clear and the tank clean?

Thanks!

I used to always use Rena Canister filters, but since I started in the shrimp hobby I wanted a small narrower canister filter. I am not fond of HOB or Sponge Filters primarily for appearance. The eheim canister filters I am using house tons of biological media which I am a big fan of, and its tucked away under my stand not noticeable. I really like how quiet they are, very effective, houses lots of biological media, and keeps my water crystal clean (I enjoy looking top down on my tank not seeing any film or residue). 

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between the Eheim 2211 or Penn Plax Cascade 500 to be used on a new Mr Aqua Serene 12 gallon low iron glass tank.

It is 35.4" X 8.3" X 9.4"

Like you, I want to be able to look at the tank and look down and not see cables, tubes, HOB's,  and all kinds of stuff. I just want to see a small intake and small out take

in the tank. It will be on a nice cabinet where the canister will be below and unseen too.

Louie, you seem to use this Chemi-pure and purigen and you like it. But how often do you change it?

So with the Eheim 2211 or the Penn Plax Cascade 500 external canister filters. Are you saying I should put one

basket with Chemi-pure, and one with purigen . Then put the sponge filter on the top basket, and some

floss on the very top?  Should I stay away from the charcoal sponge and not use it at all?

Thanks!

I know Eheim 2211 is rated for 65 gallons but I run Eheim 2213 on my 20 gallon long alongside sponge filter and Aquaclear 20 filter. The Eheim actually comes with everything inside the canister how they would have it set up with the bigger bio media at the bottom, coarse sponge, finer ball type media, fine sponge/carbon sponge/polish sponge then the top.

I don't put Purigen in the canister filter only because I can't see it turning color and it's a hassle to take it out randomly to check on it which is why I run the Aquaclear 20 on my tank. For the Aquaclear I have the sponge, bio media and Purigen on the top so I can monitor the color change of it.

I decided to go with the Penn Plax Cascade 500 after researching, watching several videos on it, and

talking to several people that own them. I think it will best with the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon tank. I will have

to shorten the intake and maybe have Han make me a custom ss mesh cover for it, but after talking

to 7 different owners of the PPC500 and only two of the Eheim owners, and watching a bunch of

videos on both Eheim and the Penn Plax, I decided to go with the Penn Plax.

I'll use BioBalls, Ceramics in the bottom containers, sponge on top of that, the other sponge in the

middle with the Purigen and Chemi-pure on the top with the floss / polish sponge on top of that.

Doc ,

I use it either one in all my tanks . I find they keep them algae free or help a lot and the water stays crystal clear (of course I do water changes) .  The only thing I disagree with everyone here is that I rinse them but let them sit 24 hours in a container of water before using them in shrimp tanks or I'll plop them in my fish tank filter for 24 hours prior.

In other words I never add them directly after a rinse to my shrimp tanks as find shrimps don't like it but after 24 hours they are great.

I change them every 5 months on my fish and shrimp tanks .

I don't recharge the purigen I use new one .

evodrgn,

Yes that is the problem with canisters as far as you wont see the purigen changing colors but like chemi-pure which doesn't change colors. I just change it on a certain schedule .

I absolutely agree with Louie on washing/rinsing Purigen and soak them in water for minimum of 24hrs before put it in the tank. A friend just washed Purigen and put in his filter and find his shrimp started to die and later found out the cause by Purigen.

Yeah, sounds like I will do it Louie's way for sure.  I got the Mr Aqua 12 gallon Low Iron Tank Today, and the Penn Plax Cascade 500 Canister filter.

The tank is impressive. Crystal Clear, and they packed it so good, you could have played football with it and it would not have cracked. I will be doing

the water tests tonight to make sure it does not leak. I am going to make this tank, a easy to deal with tank. Substrate in a glass pan inside, plants

is small ceramic containers. Short glass containers for leafs, food dishes, etc.

I am going to make this, so I can clean it easily anytime, and not have to worry about worms and other critters, and if I do get them, I will have a easy

way to deal with them. It will be a simple design, that will be as easy to take care of as I can make it.

I had several of my CBS have their fry last night. The little tank is full of fry. I still can't get over how tiny they are.  lol

Hungle,

As we all know shrimp are much more delicate than fish . I am not sure if Purigen messes up the ph or something in the water when you first use it but I know that they don't act normal when you first add it but if you let it soak in water 24 hours than add it, they don't notice a thing and you get the pros of purigen or chemi-pure.

I find both products to be outstanding from top notch companies but they do require 24 hour soaking before placing them with shrimps or its a big risk.

Doc,

You ordered the aquaclear tank online?   I would be afraid to risk it . I looked it up and nice tank about 3 feet long .  Where did you order it from?

From a company online called PetStore. They did a good job and it was packed way overboard and came to me safe and sound.