40g cherry shrimp setup help

So my LFS is having the $1 gallon sale and the wife will be out of town hehehehe I'm going to be getting a 40g tank prob thurs for some Red cherry's

My questions are

what is a good HOB filter for a 40g I was looking at the aquaclear what size would be best

40g long or breeder

would it be ok to have the tank in front of a window that the blinds are open to give them algae to eat I don't mined cleaning off some of it

sand or gravel there will be java moss and fake plants would like to put some frog bit in as well

good place to get red cherry's I live in Knoxville TN

later on can I add some OEBT with the cherrys

I was going to do this with my 240G but I couldn't devote that much space to a shrimp only tank

Thank you for any help you can give

tank near a window = bad idea

they don't eat a lot of algae.

they'll go crazy when you scrape the glass,but your tank will be green.

i would go with canister filter,use a sponge on the output flow.

you need sponge filters for oxygen.

is your couch comfortable?

if not,maybe you should invest in that first,unless you have friends with a comfortable couch. .:phone:

You don't need a HOB with a shrimp tank. You would be just fine with 1 or 2 over size sponge filters, and baby shrimp will spend most of their young lives sitting on the sponge munching away. 

Been by the window is not as bad as people make it out to be. I have two large tanks in my patio getting direct sunlight with 0 algea and I might be wrong but from personal experience shrimp seem to thrive on that natural light. 

Also don't stress about growing algea the true goal is to get biofilm, and biofilm is that slimy coat you get on the glass which is completely clear most of the time. 

The simpler the better with shrimp specially something as hardy as cherry shrimp. 

2012-08-08_12-24-29_439.jpg

so plans are moving up a day when I get up after work tonight ill be getting the tank. man I cant wait I have been wanting shrimp for along time so far the plan is

1 40g breeder petco $1 sale is going till the 5th

2 eheim 150w heater

3 aquaclear 70

4 DIY stand its going in my office so it doesn't have to be raped

5 black sand because I have 200 lbs in my 240g

6 ill be trying out one of my marineland dub bright 36inch to see if it lights the hole tank with no dead space I hope it does

7 the hard part finding red cherry shrimp the fish stores around here want $6 a pop not getting my money! if any one around here has about 50 in the next few weeks plz     let me know

Greenteam I don't rly like the look of he sponge filters in the tanks I feel like it takes away from the shrimp having this big black blob or 2 in the tank I know it provides the baby's something to eat on I just don't want to be looking at them and I have 2 SS intake guards from HANS that will fit a aquaclear 70

I'm surprised no one said this yet, but you shouldn't get fake plants! Shrimp really appreciate live plants. Some plants are easy and need very little maintenance or care, almost like fake plants! Lol. Except live plants grow biofilm and epiphytic organisms that shrimp feed on! Soooo.. If you're gonna have low light, some good plants might be Java Fern or anubias. In front of a window you might be able to get away with some higher light plants. Maybe Bucephelandra or a fissidens species would be more good lowlight or in front of window plants.

Dude, a 40L would be awesome for shrimp! Although the 40B has a bit more grazing area on the bottom surface, it's only 24 sq in, and the 48"Lx13"W foot print of the 40L gives much better visibility so you can observe your colony better!!!

Gravel vs sand is tough. It depends what you're looking for:
Sand looks much nicer IMHO, but gets dirty and is harder to clean..
Whereas gravel would be a good choice for certain plants, but is a pain to plant IMHO.
I've had better luck breeding on sand than gravel, so sand is my suggestion. I like to glue bits of Buce or anubias to a bit of gravel and bury it in the sand. It grows very fast (for those species) in low light (but that's pretty slow still.)

I agree with the aquaclear 70, since you wanted suggestions for HOBs!

Lastly, for the shrimp, I'm I Santa Cruz, CA, so no idea where to get them there, but forum marketplaces, aquabid, or fb auction forums are good places to start and get a sold deal on nice shrimp! Pm me about it!

Well went to petco today got the last 40g breeder they had woot woot and to my surprise it wasn't a tetra aquarium its aqueon was reading on the net that tetra tanks suck and that's what petco only sold then went to Home Depot and got all the items for the stand so I'll be building a stand in the AM and ordering the filter and heater in a few mins I think I'll get a few pices of spider wood for the tank as well 

I'll look at some different plants ty for the tips

What are those plants on the side :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petsmart 3.99 plastic very rare I'll take them out when I find a nice low light ground cover plant. This is my 1st time with real plants so not very sure what is out there I would like something that can take root in the sand. I will not be using ferts and the light is a marineland dub bright 36 inch I have two on it now but I can't get in the tank so one will be coming off there will be 50 cherrys in there this week what is all your take on fogbit does it grow so fast and does it block light from other plants

Frogbit grows very nicely and takes away nitrates and such from the water so ur shrimp will thank u for that. It also breaks up the light . For rooted plants u can try crypts or star grass work great for me in sand and gravel

However if u want an ever faster plant u can go with giant duckweed

ok so now that the cherrys are in the tank I want to add a different type with them. So what is a nice looking shrimp that will look good with black sand that are not red and is not to much money per shrimp and can live in tap water prime is the only thing Im willing to add to the tap water I do 25% WC a week. im not looking to make any money from them just a different color moving around lol I think I might have MTS might sell the 240g and get a few more 40g breeders lol and line a few walls in the office they are very fun to watch but for now just the one shrimp tank till I fined a buyer for the 240g

so today I tested my water and my ph is higher in my 40g shrimp tank then my 240g the 40g is about 8.0-8.2 and the 240g is 7.4.-7.6 so I was think about getting some almond leaves from HANS  just wanted to know can I buy 25 of them and add them all or  would that lower the PH to much  or they root???? and how much will they lower the PH??? I don't care if my water is yellow just don't want the shrimp to die any info would be great

Adding driftwood would be a better route to take than a bunch of leaves, just because they will decompose too quickly and foul your water