Things that shrimp keepers can't live without

paulvh

Since I have been getting back into shrimp keeping lately, I am wondering what everyone here(particularly the more experienced breeders) feel are absolutely essential products to their setups. I am sure that there are other newbies out there who would benefit from this info as well, so I figured I'd just ask the community.

From food and supplements to that one piece of equipment you really couldn't live without. I am curious to see what everyone thinks.

Perhaps the best format for this would be a top 5 things list?

Example(not my list, just for format's sake)

1. Mosura BT-9
  2. Snowflake food
  3. Indian Almond Leaves
  4. Oxydator
  5. 3D Shrimp net

If there is anything wacky, please let us know why it makes your life easier :) 

Also, if you need to make two lists, perhaps separate for neos, caridinas, sulawesi, etc.. go for it!

15 minutes ago, LesterBee said:

What is an oxydator?

An oxydator is a device that converts hydrogen peroxide via a catalytic reaction into concentrated oxygen. It's used primarily to increase oxygen in the water column.

This probably would do a better job of explaining it than I would:

http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/

Relatively new (just over a year) and have learned with with the expensive loss method.  I switched from round foam filters to HMF for more beneficial bacteria and biofilm feeding surface.  Good TDS meter and calibration fluid, drop type Gh/Kh, PH, NO3 test kits, and remineralizer for water.  IA leaves, mosses and other structures for hiding while molting. After getting help from SS members and past posts my Neo shrimp are berried again right after dropping shrimplets and doing well.

1 Over filtration. 2 Bacter AE or equivalent. 3 wood/leaves/cones. 4 TDS meter 5 API Master kit I guess but the GH n KH tests aren't in there. And remineralizer and pH meter ?

19 hours ago, paulvh said:

An oxydator is a device that converts hydrogen peroxide via a catalytic reaction into concentrated oxygen. It's used primarily to increase oxygen in the water column.

This probably would do a better job of explaining it than I would:

http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/

OK  I don't think I'd be real comfortable running something like that on my shrimp tanks, Seems like a mistake and leak could be bad for the shrimp.   Besides our tap water already comes with a pretty decent pre-charge of diffused oxygen, especially in Winter.

A top 5 is almost impossible and when you have posted it you realize that the order of importance is wrong or a answer swap is order. Too much pressure!!! Self induced of course but my shrimps appreciate it ?