Ideal parameters for Taiwan Bees and Crystals.

What are the ideal parameters for these shrimp. I've seen a wide range of parameters from different breeders. I had been losing all my batches of babies and realized my GH was too high as well as my TDS. Slowly I have been lowering them. I have a new batch of babies that are almost two weeks old. Here are my current parameters:

GH 8

TDS 161

pH 6.5

KH 0-1

Nitrates 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Ammonia 0

Temp 73.2

Do I need to lower the GH more? I have purchased and will be using MK Blue Diamond and Mosura TDS up to remineralize my RO water. I thought ideally my parameters needed to be a GH of 5 and a TDS in the 130's.

Thanks in advance :)

I keep mine (BKK,WR,PRL,CWS,YKK) at

pH 5.5

GH 3

KH 0

TDS 110-120ppm

Temp 23C

with great success.

wow james thats some low ph!

i shoot for 6ph, gh4, tds 100-120.

It's buffered by ControlSoil, I didn't do anything.

But my bee shrimp seems loving it and be happy.

I learned how to increase survival rate of the babies. Ive got diy breeding box - similar to marina box operating with small pup - I've got substrate some moss and choala wood in it. When I see that female just about to give birth I placing her in the box and wait until the babies out. I dose some Bacter AE and some baby food on daily basis in the breeding box and I have around 95% of babies survival rate. The babies growing extremely  fast in there because plenty of food - I think around 2 times quicker than in the tank, I'm not joking .

I also have nice looking KK male in the box it's very often females molt straight after birth and the male is always there for that purpose :D  He don't mind to be in that box all the time - its big enough for couple shrimps.

Hey Citycode, can you show a photo of your breeder box set up?  What size of pump. I've been wanting to set up something like this, but I'm not a good diy'er.

I learned how to increase survival rate of the babies. Ive got diy breeding box - similar to marina box operating with small pup - I've got substrate some moss and choala wood in it. When I see that female just about to give birth I placing her in the box and wait until the babies out. I dose some Bacter AE and some baby food on daily basis in the breeding box and I have around 95% of babies survival rate. The babies growing extremely fast in there because plenty of food - I think around 2 times quicker than in the tank, I'm not joking .

I also have nice looking KK male in the box it's very often females molt straight after birth and the male is always there for that purpose :D He don't mind to be in that box all the time - its big enough for couple shrimps.

I've actually been doing the same exact thing! Well I don't dose Bacter AE. I retested me water this evening as I did a small water change this morning. My GH is down to 7 and my TDS is down to 150. I'm going to wait two day and do anther small water change with pure RO. So far this current Bach if babies is much more active and seem to scavenge all over the breeder box. I also have substrate in there win some moss, a piece of cholla wood, a few alder cones, and a bee ball. They seem to be bigger than my last babies and have lived longer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can hang in there until my next water change. I currently have 12 berries females in the tank and two are due to release there babies in the next three or four days :)

I learned how to increase survival rate of the babies. Ive got diy breeding box - similar to marina box operating with small pup - I've got substrate some moss and choala wood in it. When I see that female just about to give birth I placing her in the box and wait until the babies out. I dose some Bacter AE and some baby food on daily basis in the breeding box and I have around 95% of babies survival rate. The babies growing extremely fast in there because plenty of food - I think around 2 times quicker than in the tank, I'm not joking .

I also have nice looking KK male in the box it's very often females molt straight after birth and the male is always there for that purpose :D He don't mind to be in that box all the time - its big enough for couple shrimps.

I've actually been doing the same exact thing! Well I don't dose Bacter AE. Along with HAN baby food I put in a small amount of Borneowild Bebe. I retested my water this evening as I did a small water change this morning. My GH is down to 7 and my TDS is down to 150. I'm going to wait two day and do anther small water change with pure RO. So far this current Bach if babies is much more active and seem to scavenge all over the breeder box. I also have substrate in there win some moss, a piece of cholla wood, a few alder cones, and a bee ball. They seem to be bigger than my last babies and have lived longer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can hang in there until my next water change. I currently have 12 berried females in the tank and two are due to release there babies in the next three or four days :)

That is great Citycode!! I don't think I could be so creative. But gives me food for thought - Maybe a Marina box with a similar setup. I need something already made up

I've actually been doing the same exact thing! Well I don't dose Bacter AE. Along with HAN baby food I put in a small amount of Borneowild Bebe. I retested my water this evening as I did a small water change this morning. My GH is down to 7 and my TDS is down to 150. I'm going to wait two day and do anther small water change with pure RO. So far this current Bach if babies is much more active and seem to scavenge all over the breeder box. I also have substrate in there win some moss, a piece of cholla wood, a few alder cones, and a bee ball. They seem to be bigger than my last babies and have lived longer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can hang in there until my next water change. I currently have 12 berried females in the tank and two are due to release there babies in the next three or four days :)

I new I'm not only one who doing this.

You can try to doze a little of bacter ae and some baby food in the breeding box it should improve survival rate and speed up growing. The first case why babies dying is because of water parameters and the second is lack of food/biofilm so if you fix both you going to have almost 100% surviving rate.

I new I'm not only one who doing this.

You can try to doze a little of bacter ae and some baby food in the breeding box it should improve survival rate and speed up growing. The first case why babies dying is because of water parameters and the second is lack of food/biofilm so if you fix both you going to have almost 100% surviving rate.

Thank you for the advice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can babies get out of the Marina box? They are so tiny. Just curious because I would like to try this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk