color enhancing foods???

Subtletanks91

This topic is brought on by bryces comment in my food thread on the general topics board.

what food, and why actually solidifies whites reds black blues and yellows? Does anyone feed a specific food that brightens or solidifies color along with selective breeding. It are hey all a crock of horse manure?

I've been mixing various food samples and grinding them to a powder recently and adding a tiny bit of astaxanthin to it. Only a week ao far and no noticeable changes in coloration. I will give it a month on my fish and shrimp and see how it does

My Shrimp seem to love the BorneoWild Color, I really like the EBI Quatro II also.

Your not going to notice a change in color instantly, the most noticeable times you will see variance is after they molt. Maybe not even the first molt after feeding these "Color Enhancing" foods either, it could take several molts.

That's a good idea Bryce. I may have to set a hob breeder box up and have some of my shrimp in there and the main tank and feed them differently. I don't really think you can enhance the color with foods only by selective breeding. If a shrimp had a thin shell it's not going to get thicker I don't think by giving a food. That's why people selective breed for thick white shells. Am I wrong Bryce?

I agree Soothing, that's my point. You can't tell if its due to food or just molting (aging).

So the top photo is the best I have of her when I got them in October she was about 3/4" long.

The bottom is one from literally 2 seconds ago, she's a little over an inch long. And the white has faded tremendously, and there's a red hue underlying it

post-90-0-27131100-1402526563_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-96845100-1402526570_thumb.jpg

That's the thing I had a fugeray before. And I have a planted plus now which has a better light intensity. But lights aside if I turn the, off the while is poached with red underlying it instead of a solid white when I got her.

Yeah one of my golden shrimplets quarter inch long now has a deep red undertone with only speckles of white on the shell

Cardinals turn clear wen the lights go out. About the only way to tell if you have berried ones. Impossible to see a saddle unless you do this. I also do it for my crystals and cull the lighter ones after the light goes on in the morning

-Chris