Cheap LEDs

I know a few people that have used those and liked them. It all depends what your goal is? Do you plan on growing plants, just better lighting for your shrimp etc?

If it's the latter of the two, then you should be fine. If you're looking to have a scape demanding plants + shrimp you may need to look at a different light option.

I know a few people that have used those and liked them. It all depends what your goal is? Do you plan on growing plants, just better lighting for your shrimp etc?

If it's the latter of the two, then you should be fine. If you're looking to have a scape + shrimp you may need to look at a different light option.

It's for a 29 gallon well-planted shrimp tank. So I guess these lights aren't that good for plants?

I use similar kinds from china and they work just fine for plants that require low to maybe medium light.

It's for a 29 gallon well-planted shrimp tank. So I guess these lights aren't that good for plants?

I should probably edit my original post. Like Vpier's comment, you'll find more success with low to medium demanding plants and these lights.

I forgot to add that the LEDs with the red and green will make your greens and browns more deep and that light isnt as bright as the ones without. I prefer the ones without the red and green LEDs for shrimp viewing but if you plan in doing like a heavily planted tank that LED would definitely make the plants look better.

I forgot to add that the LEDs with the red and green will make your greens and browns more deep and that light isnt as bright as the ones without. I prefer the ones without the red and green LEDs for shrimp viewing but if you plan in doing like a heavily planted tank that LED would definitely make the plants look better.

I agree, I use the ones without the red/green

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390885496493&alt=web

I actually use these for freshwater now. I got them initially for a salt tank and they grew coral great. Needed a light one day as my t5 burnt out.

These black boxes make my ludwigia red. Turn the deepest red I have ever seen. They make all my plants look great. I actually ordered this larger one for my 75g. There is a smaller cheaper one too for smaller tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have about 7 of the Beamsworks lights which I purchased from the second Ebay seller in your link. Some of them I've had for several years now and haven't had any issues with them. They grow low-med plants nicely.I haven't used them for high light plants so I can't comment there. Can't beat their price. :)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/EVO-18-6500K-LED-Aquarium-Light-Freshwater-Plant-Tropical-Fish-Discus-10x-3W-/301198334979?nav=SEARCH

I have the 36" version. Bright enough to make my ludwigia Atlantis and p kawagoemum show off their red hues.

The entire ludwiga Atlantis shows their red color or just near the light  ?

Ludwiga repens with CFL .

post-74-0-40356600-1455037519_thumb.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390885496493&alt=web

I actually use these for freshwater now. I got them initially for a salt tank and they grew coral great. Needed a light one day as my t5 burnt out.

These black boxes make my ludwigia red. Turn the deepest red I have ever seen. They make all my plants look great. I actually ordered this larger one for my 75g. There is a smaller cheaper one too for smaller tanks.

You lay them on glass or just open tank/no cover  ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/EVO-18-6500K-LED-Aquarium-Light-Freshwater-Plant-Tropical-Fish-Discus-10x-3W-/301198334979?nav=SEARCH

I have the 36" version. Bright enough to make my ludwigia Atlantis and p kawagoemum show off their red hues.

Hmmmm, interesting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Just lay them on the glass is all I do.

Thanks . I asked because was under impression that you couldn't just lay led on glass, etc without some space in between or it would over heat but noticed that fixture did not have legs .

The entire ludwiga Atlantis shows their red color or just near the light ?

Ludwiga repens with CFL .

LUDWIGA REPENS.jpg

The whole plant showed its red hue. But after the tank filled in and especially after adding frog bit only new growth from the top half of the tank was reddish anything that grew below that was green with smaller petals.

The whole plant showed its red hue. But after the tank filled in and especially after adding frog bit only new growth from the top half of the tank was reddish anything that grew below that was green with smaller petals.

I kept Repens and Atlantis outside and bright beautiful red but just like inside I noticed that after few inches they were not red which is why I asked you .

When I used DIY C02 in my 55 gallon the Repens certainly had way more red .

I'm a fan of ludwigas and actually have repens which I discarded because I had so much growing on lawn without water .

I kept Repens and Atlantis outside and bright beautiful red but just like inside I noticed that after few inches they were not red which is why I asked you .

When I used DIY C02 in my 55 gallon the Repens certainly had way more red .

I'm a fan of ludwigas and actually have repens which I discarded because I had so much growing on lawn without water .

Man i wish i could grow aquatic plants outside! I feel bad every time i do a big trim and have to throw away a big bucket full of plants.

Thanks . I asked because was under impression that you couldn't just lay led on glass, etc without some space in between or it would over heat but noticed that fixture did not have legs .

It has fans built on the back

Man i wish i could grow aquatic plants outside! I feel bad every time i do a big trim and have to throw away a big bucket full of plants.

You could sell, trade, give away extra plants .

I have been able to grow a few aquatic plants on soil by accident like ludwiga, water sprite ,anubias, java fern and crypts and they might disappear when its hot and dry for weeks, months but they return when it rains for few days .

post-74-0-71104300-1455126995_thumb.jpg