Floating Sponge Filter

I have a question about one of my sponge filters. I've got several kinds among my tanks. The 10g has a large cube from Angels Plus. The two 2.5 gallon tanks each have a small round one, and my two Evolves have sponge filters with the two sponge cylinders on either side of the tube where the bubbles come up. It is one of these that is driving me mad.

The one in my Evolve4 is great. It stays in place and does its job.

The one in my Evolve8 won't stay attached to the back wall. I've tried wedging it against the back wall with driftwood. It lasts for awhile, then it finds a way to get loose and float. I've tried weighing it down with small rocks... this actually lasted for three whole days before it managed to loosen enough to dislodge one of the rocks and once again float (okay, it half-floated this time... the other rock was still in place).

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get this thing to stay in place? This particular tank doesn't have shrimp in it (my Evolve4 does), but it still drives me bonkers.

Thanks!

Make sure all the air is out, and if they are suction cup attached, make sure you scrape the wall clean of algae! Mine kept floating up and it hasn't since i cleaned the area where it is attached

• 1 month later...

Those 2 sponge filters are good and cheap but for some reason the suction cups that come with them Suck . I find them floating all the time . Likely some of them do not have the bad suction cups,  but I just change to the round ones with a weighted bottom . They work the best and clog less . Get the larger pore size and they don't need as much work and produce more beneficial bacteria

I have the round ones with the weighted bottoms too...hydor or something I think is the brand.

I really like them . Every 6 months I take a pipe cleaner and run it through the small opening in the body and squeeze the sponge ( but not totally clean ) And that's it . Simplicity at its best . And the shrimp love them too . They will cluster on top and on the sides . If you put them in the back corner and put a floater or some Java moss near them they blend surprisingly well . It is Hydor or something like that I get the largest size for 20's and up about $9 . I started with the 2 sponge types cause they were cheap $3.50 shipped I think and that was my budget at the time . But you have to adjust them and clean stuff out of them and just mess with them in General ( and they float as mentioned )  . I wish I would have gotten all hydro's in the beginning :)