My Yellow Tank

mosspearl

Found a dead shrimp last night in my yellow tank. I know I've lost some in my other tanks before, but never found a body before. Today, I thought another one was a goner, but it moved when I went to pick it out. Turns out it's not dead, just very pale. Took params.

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

GH: 8

KH: 7

TDS: 174

I immediately added some Prime-laced water to detoxify any ammonia. What else can I do?

Tons of floaters in the tank. Frogbit, duckweed, and pennywort. Second shrimp is now laying on its side, but when touched, it jumps and swims off. It's not doing well. :P

I don't know how old the shrimp are... got them in August from Soothing, then a few more in early November. There were several different ages. The one that died yesterday was one of the largest... the one not doing well today is a little smaller. They were all doing so well. :(

Could do a small water change and lower the ammonia.

This may sound completely obvious, but how long do some of these shrimp live, anyways?

Could it be old age?

Average lifespan, anyone?

Bout 1.5 years is the average, you'll have some that live longer some that live shorter as with all things though.

I would definitely try raising the temp to ~70.  Your range then would be 70-76F and would be more beneficial to them methinks.  The idea that lower temps hold off bacterial infection is true, but with cherries- sometimes lower temps can actually be detrimental- at least in my experience.

You may have to fiddle a little with the temp to get to where you like it, but a stable 76 or so will allow them to adjust okay.

The only thing I would be cautious with is too high of a temp too fast.  However in this case it sounds as if you don't have too much of a choice using a non adjustable. 

Regardless, IMO temp in the 70's for neos is going to be more advantageous to you and your shrimp in the long run.

:unsure: One of the smaller yellows is now dying. Still alive, but lying on its side. Sigh. Temperature is currently at 73.8 F. Looks like I'll be testing params again.

New params:

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

GH: 7

KH: 7

TDS 173

Did anything out of the ordinary get in your shrimp room or in the tank? I lost some shrimp one time because I had accidentally moved some industrial sponges next to my tank and something must have floated into my tank.

Otherwisem y only suggestion is to do a few small water changes tomorrow.

No, nothing new in or near my tank. It's right near my desk, so I'm close to it all the time.

So far, so good. I haven't noticed anymore bodies, so I'm hoping that's it for now. The heat is staying between 72 and 78. I took out some of the floaters (they were getting really thick). Just hoping for the best now.