Dilemma: Hydra & Acclimating Baby Neos

MN Shrimping

So, I'm not sure what to do & would appreciate the sage advice of the forum.

I received my shipment of pumpkin neos today, and there are several small shrimps along with the older ones (yea!!)... However, I just noticed that I have a few hydra in the tank, and I'm worried about putting the little ones in the tank until the hydra are gone.

I ordered fenbendazole which will arrive tomorrow & will do the treatment ASAP. But, Since I don't have any other tank set-up to put the little ones in, I'd like to know what I should do.

Should I put the larger ones in the tank after acclimation today, and wait to put the little ones in after the hydra treatment?.... If I wait, how long before putting the little ones in? Or should I put them all in today & hope for the best until treatment? Or some other course of action I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

I haven't noticed any deaths when I have used fenbendazole in the past.  Babies, adults, berried females etc.

I used to be very concerned about hydras, and wouldn't hesitate to do fenbendazole treatment until one bad experience (still not sure if it was because of the med or not, I'd bet not but wouldn't dare to try again). Lost about half of a tank of 40 very nice breeding size flower head within a week after a fenbendazole treatment (no other change around that time). And the breeding activity of those shrimps has been at most 1/3 of other shrimps. This was about 9 months ago. Since then, I have been ignoring hydras. Do they eat babies? I think so, but I still get many babies in the tank so I decided to let hydra live in my tanks as well. I find that they come and go even if you do nothing about them.

That bad inccident basically set me back in my flower head breeding. I had to pick flower head from other tanks to form another breeding crew.... about 1.5 years of work went to toilet.

I have a problem tank a new batch of yellow neos and found a colony of hydra that are connected by tubes. I have dosed fenbendazole 3 xs this last week and they are still there. Don't know if they were responsible for the loss. I was going to nuke the tank this weekend but it sounds like maybe I can just physically remove them and not worry? They are all in one place near the sponge filter for some reason.

I have a problem tank a new batch of yellow neos and found a colony of hydra that are connected by tubes. I have dosed fenbendazole 3 xs this last week and they are still there. Don't know if they were responsible for the loss. I was going to nuke the tank this weekend but it sounds like maybe I can just physically remove them and not worry? They are all in one place near the sponge filter for some reason.

Hydras are immortal (literally, google it you'll know), and if you break them in halves they will regrow. So inproperly removing them will actually get them to multiply faster.

Try spixi snails, they do eat them. Although, I tend not to introduce anything foreign to my shrimp tank, I have have tried spixi and they ate hydras.

I did spixis for a while. They ate some hydra, but hydra hide and they won't find them all. SInce hydra reproduce with budding too, they'll always be there unless meds are introduced.

Spixis are also illegal to ship across state lines and in IL there was some talk about them being illegal period. To be on the safe side, I got rid of them. Not worth being investigated or banned from aquatics for just one species.

I use .05g fenben per tenner to get rid of hydra. Takes about three days for them to ball up and disappear, but totally worth it. Never had a shrimp loss from it, but I use "fish bendazole" and not wormer for dogs.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! All the shrimp are now in the tank & seem to be doing well.

I will try the fish fenben when it comes tomorrow.

@Soothing: I have a tenner. Should I do 1 dose per day until it's gone, or do a dose & wait some days to dose again?

Also, does anyone know if I should remove my ramshorn & 1 pond snail before treatment, or will they be fine?

Thanks so much again to everyone!

Never had a problem with fenben affecting ramshorns or ponds, but it's been known to kill Nerites and Mysteries.

Take out a cup of tank water and crush/mix in your .05g fenben powder.

Pour in tank and turn out light for a day or so.

Wait 3 days and dose again if needed.

After 3 more days do a water change if needed.

Pretty simple really.

You can get rid of hydra faster by .1g per tenner, but I like to be a bit more cautious with my shrimp if I don't need to be so aggressive (ie. no planaria are present)