Salty ghkh question

This is for a neo tank and fish tank.

I have a 5g bucket of RO water from a glacial water machine. The tds starts out at 11. Gh 0 or 1 (1 drop turns it green) ph 7(cheap ph meter and api). The salty instructions say 1 scoop per 2.6g to reach gh 6.

I add 1 scoop to the 5g bucket and get 6gh on the api test kit 133 tds and 8.4 ph on the cheap meter and api is over 7.6 on reg ph (dark blue) so did high ph test to check and it was either 7.4 looking sideways (lnight brown) or 8.2 (reddish) looking down through tube (both against white background, I hate these color tests)

Now the cheap ph meter has been calibrated against 7 and 4 ph solution and seems accurate. .

1. Is it possible to get 6gh on half the amount per instructions?

2. Instructions say 6gh should be 300 microcm tds, google says = 190 ppm tds. Is 133 plausible and ok for neos?

3. Can 1 scoop really raise ph to over 8?

Api test kits are not expired. Not sure if this is right or I messed up the tests somehow? Any thoughts?

Thanks

When I use Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ the TDS ends up around 110 or so.  My neos are doing well in it.  I don't test my pH so I can't comment on the pH but I feel your pain on those tests.  I am colorblind so they are pretty worthless for me :)

Thanks oblong... So 1 scoop per 5g bucket sounds about right? I've seen other posts where they say 2 scoops to get gh of 6. I might try an lfs RO source just to compare.

I make it in a big 55 gal drum so I just add a bunch of scoops and check the TDS.  If I recall correctly 6 was around 120 or so?  I never remember to write it down and am always forgetting it. 

I used a different to source and added 1 scoop (1/2 scoop at a time just to see what a half scoop was) to 2.5 gallons and got 6gh 3 kh 150 tds. Ph was over 8 but I think it must be the meter. Can kh be 3 and ph 8.2? So ignoring ph guess it should work for me. Thanks.

10Gal & 20L.

But mix it in 2.5gal/10litter jag.

Jag has a line for gal/litter.

Fill ro water to 10litter level.

Put scoop of gh/kh+ in small cup. Pour some ro to mix .put it back in jag

Shake jag.

Then tested parameter.

Well it was first time.

As long as no nitrate in water,im good.

My tap have 20ppm nitrate.

If i Use gh+. Ph goes below chart.

I need some kh to keep it ph6.4-6.8.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to start a topic on this. I wanted to use this for my neo's but no matter how much I put in a 5 gallon bucket the ph goes over 8. This can't be right. I'm inclined to just use gh+ and add a tad bit of backing soda for a little kh. So disappointed in this product so far. I think I need to do a bunch more testing to figure out whats up. For what its worth 2 level scoops gave me 200 tds, 8gh, and 4kh. So im good with that but the ph is freaking me out.

But at least I don't feel as crazy since other people have experienced the high ph as well.

Scott

I mixed up a batch to150 tds and got 6gh and 3kh with ph above 8. Then I did a 50% change on a painted fire red tank and no one cared, not one single shrimp danced or swam around crazy. So I still don't know what to think, the testing continues I suppose.

I was told by the breeder of my white pearls to ignore the scoop quantities suggested on the container and to keep TDS testing after adding small amounts of Salty Shrimp GH+. I run mine a bit higher than you guys seem to be doing at around 250 ppm. It doesn't appear to affect the pH as it always seems to run at around the 7.8 mark which is what it is from the tap.

I think I'm gonna run some neo tanks at 150 for a while and see what happens. They all seem to be fine with water changes and it comes out at 6gh and 3kh which I think is fine. I just can't imagine salty bee having a bad mix. That would crush my world.

Scott