Yellow Neo Deaths

Sadly, last night and this morning, I found two of my Yellow Neos dead. The first one was last night and it was my fave big female. She was upside down on one of the moss SS I have. I got to her fast once I saw multiple MTS going to her direction. I took her out and looked her over. No cloudiness at all. I looked around the area she died and nothing. I thought since she was big and over an inch for months, she died of old age? Got her last year in April. I couldn't test the parameters last night and everyone was acting normal. She was acting normal that morning. I decided to test parameters the next day.

I turned the lights on this morning at 9am to test all the tanks and found the second Yellow dead. A male. Next to the body was a molt. Not sure it was his. Two other Yellows were eating him so I hurried to get the body and molt out. I looked over the body and molt. Nothing. No cloudiness. Looked where I found the body and nothing. Everyone is acting normal.

Tested the parameters and got this:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10

PH: 7.4/7.6

GH: 8

KH: 4

TDS: 243

I use RO water and SaltyShrimp GH/KH+ to get this for water changes:

PH: 7.6

GH: 7

KH: 4

TDS: 215

The GH went from 7 to 8 in the tank. No idea how long. Been awhile since I tested the parameters of the tank. Could it be the GH? Did water change this past Saturday. 10% water change every 10 days.

Also, I have white worms in all three tanks. No idea if it's Planaria or harmless. If these are Planaria worms, could they just kill and leave the bodies?

Meant to add that the Yellow Neo tank is 7.5g.

The other two tanks, 18g and 3.2g had also gone up in GH. The 3.2g is GH9/KH6. The 18g is GH8/KH4.

What can I do with lowing the GH in the tanks back to 7? Do water changes only with RO water?

From now on, doing parameter testing more often!

Very upset that this could be my fault. I really feel terrible.

"What can I do with lowing the GH in the tanks back to 7? Do water changes only with RO water?"

yepper.  Of course in turn you will lower TDS.  I've dropped TDS over 200+ in a single water change before with my cherries, however the general rule is lower no more than 40 TDS a day for more sensitive shrimp, and ~100/day for non sensitive shrimp.

Sounds as if your big fem was an adult.  So it may be old age.  What temp is your tank?

The male may be a random death.  Sometimes deaths together are enough to give an illusion of a problem when in actuality they are not connected.  Your ammonia is zilch, so not that.  (Once that cycle starts it's ugly to try to stop.)  Keep an eye out for more deaths- but don't jump to conclusions yet.

PH should be fine even at 8.

---

Planaria have triangle heads with tiny eyes that look crossed.  Yes, they will kill even adult shrimp (from experience), but you may not have that.  You may just have nematodes instead.  Get out that magnifying glass. :)

That GH should be fine for Yellow Neos.  As Soothing said it could just be chance.  They may have both had bad molts or the male had a bad molt and the female was old.

are you topping off with plain RO water or remineralized? If you are topping off with the remineralized it will raise your gh as the salts are still present after evaporation.

Thanks guys, Just looked into tank and see no deaths. I am down to eight Yellows and they hid well in the 7.5g.

are you topping off with plain RO water or remineralized? If you are topping off with the remineralized it will raise your gh as the salts are still present after evaporation.

Well, the RO water is 6.4 so I usually add baking soda to bring the KH to 4 and PH to 7.6. I top off once a week. Usually three days before I do water change.

I been wondering if I been doing the Top Off wrong? Am I?

If you are adding baking soda to the top-off water you will be increasing your KH over time.  You should just add pure RO water for top-offs since all that evaporates is pure water. 

Hope this will help . You got the shrimp last April ? So at least 10 Months old assuming 3 months old when you got them . That's getting to be pretty old in shrimp years . And they may have been older than 3 month's when you got them . A year is average for a shrimp to live and 18 months is likely a record for common Cardina and Neocardina . It does vary due to lots of factors but a year is average . So they may just be as you figured getting Old . On the Worm issue a good harmless way to get rid of all types of worms is Betel Nut Extract . Areca catechu is the Latin Name . It has been used for 1000's of years as a dewormer that is natural .

I have been using it for 6 months or so and have tried a number of different dosages . At a Teaspoon per 20 Gallon it does not hurt Shrimp Crays or Snails and I have dosed it much higher than that but would be reluctant to recommend more as I did that at my risk . After a heavy dosage it seems to take a while to clear but at the teaspoon per 20 it has no noticible effect on the tank at all . I will dose 2 teaspoons for a while and let you know the results . Not sure what it kills but it is a safe effective dewormer for Humans and other Animals .

Interesting I did not know that . I have chewed Betel nut though to uuuummmm help me in some long distance paddling and to help my endurance and general condition  ( big smile ) .  I sure missed it after 3 weeks of chewing It   ;)  . I think the shrimp may be Happier as well