hair algae and shrimp disappearences.

So I noticed something interesting lately.  The tanks with hair algae in the moss seemed to have shrimp disappearing, while the ones without hair algae (spiro?) seemed to increase shrimp.

All tanks treated the same way.

Not sure what that means.  Perhaps the hair algae is giving off a toxic chemical or taking too much O2/releasing too much CO2 at night?

Regardless, a lot of moss with hair algae went bye bye now.

When I had hair algae, I kept doing water changes and removing all the hair algae I see but it didn't help. Grew back next day. To fix my issue, I checked everything in my tank. So I lifted my tanks and shrimp cave and wow, I was surprised. I saw a lot of waste hiding below the cave and vacuumed it up and no more hair algae.

• 2 weeks later...

I think when hair algae grows abnormally, the chemical balance is off in your water. And baby shrimps are less likely to survive. This is also from my experience. Test phosphate if you have the kit.. I'm trying to gather more data to back my guess.

When I had hair algae I would not see any shrimp out, thought I had lost them all and was ready to dose algae fix. Instead I tried reducing the photoperiod in order to kill the algae, removed all the algae infesed moss and added a SAE. About a week later all the hair algae is gone and shrimp are all over the tank feeding again.....wierd.

Check this video of Ellen Wang's tanks. So much algae! She probably keeps it like that to benefit the shrimp in some way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5VE53qGYmQ

It's different type of algae, not hair algae.

shrimp likes it and would clean it up in weeks.

Is there somethign special you can do to produce specific type of algae? For example if you dont want hair algae, staghorn or GSA, but want to encourage the same algae shown in the video to grow.

I never intentionally do that. it would be cleaned by shrimp in weeks any way.

I just feed my shrimp with good quality shrimp food. that's it.

if you really want to grow specific type of algae, copy her steps.