What species?

Looks like some kind of neo but other then that it is hard to tell.  Where did you get it from?

Looks like a cherry variety called Wasabi (although it may also be wild.)  I think they look more like grasshoppers to me.  Mine come in brownish to muddy greenish, but they all have the black markings like that.

Strangely, mine don't breed nearly as fast as my other cherries. *shrugs*

It took me a while to find a shrimp other than the cherry in the far left :)

(waz playing "Where's Shrimpo?")

Not being familiar with a lot of these shrimp species, do some, particularly wild types, tend to camouflage to the gravel color

like some inverts, insects and lizards? Not exactly dramatic, like a chameleon, but a slow fade in/out with exposure?

Could some of these colors be defense and that's why they seem to vary so much?

What is one color in one's tank could be entirely different in someone elses?

Maybe certain gravel color or water conditions/additives occasionally "pull out" this trait, regardless of selective breeding?

Just musing here...

-Stef*

Oblong - I got it locally last year.   A guy was selling them on CL.  I got his last two and they have been having young.  

Soothing - I have some others that I also got locally (local aquarium society) and they were labeled Wasabi.  They have a greenish hue, but not as much of the dark markings.  I dunno what the heck they really are either.  

Stef* - I think a lot of people report better coloration on darker substrates.  Makes sense, since these guys are candy of the food chain.  Unfortunately for us it makes them harder to see.  

Well, I don't have a clue what these guys are except perhaps N. palmata.....which is what I thought they were.  Turns out Mordalphus thinks the same over on TPT.   HOWEVER, I just bought some supposed "palmata" off of Aquabid in hopes to enlarge my gene pool.  WELL, what I received looks a lot more like the "wasabi" strain I have than my "palmata" strain.  Oy vey!!!  lol

Wasabi has kind of a shady background. heh  Many breeders are not exactly sure what they are besides neo.  I've heard neo palmata and Neo davidi.  Truth is, I think the original knowledge is lost so all we can do is guess (unless one want to spend $100 for a genetics test) and since Neos breed with Neos, who knows? heh