raising ph with UP soil?

Sodium bicarbonate. Is that the Up sand you reused? That's strange it's pulling it down to 5 it's suppose to buffer to 6.5. How many time's did you test it? Anything else in the tank that could lower it? 

I have the same problem with my tank at the moment. Its reading 5.4 im using ada amazonia. Its pretty new and fully cycled. The soil layer is pretty thick, i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Is there a formula for the crushed coral amount in relation to the desired ph level?

Im also worried it will shorten the life of the soil.

I think most these substrates are made for use with tap water, that's why I am giving my ADA aqua soil a tap water beat down for the cycle then switching to ro/di hoping I end up with 6.0 to 6.4. I wouldn't mind being in the in 5.6 5.8 range either. 

Yes adding crushing coral in aquasoil will make them two work against each other.

For adding crushed coral.

I had to add a little at a time and wait, test, add, wait, test.

I read crushed coral also increases KH. For CRS who thrive in KH 0-1, how can PH be safely raised using crushed coral? is it advisable to use for bee shrimp?

It's ok, in acidic water, CO3- would become CO2 and release back to air, so KH would stay on the low side.

CaCO3 in the crushed coral only exhausts the H+ and bring up the pH level.

it does push up the GH in the same time.

It's ok, in acidic water, CO3- would become CO2 and release back to air, so KH would stay on the low side.

CaCO3 in the crushed coral only exhausts the H+ and bring up the pH level.

it does push up the GH in the same time.

Thanks for explaining, so basically you only worry about KH going up from using crushed coral IF your PH is already on the high side to begin with?

I have just put 400ml of crushed coral in a 28 gallon tank.

Thanks for explaining, so basically you only worry about KH going up from using crushed coral IF your PH is already on the high side to begin with?

I have just put 400ml of crushed coral in a 28 gallon tank.

That's a lot of crushed coral.

normally I only add one table spoon (into 10 gallon) at one time and see how it goes. you don't want to change the pH too quick which would stress the shrimp.

Another question: should the crushed coral be removed once the desired PH is met?

No, if you remove it, the pH would drop back to previous level.

if pH is stable, then do nothing. if it goes up slowly, remove small part of it, until reach the balance.

you may need add small amount over time, to keep it stable.

One more thing, if you add crushed coral, keep an eye on your GH. if may goes up slowly overtime.