Fry are getting through the HMF Filter

Doc4PC2

It's hard to believe, but the fry can make it through the HMF filter. I keep finding the babies that are

new born on the other side of the HMF Filter. I have the HMF Filter on the left side of the tank

that blocks from top to bottom and side to side. There is no way to get over the top, the only way

is to go through, and that is what the little ones do. I watch them, they kind of tunnel in through

the HMF filter and I have to net them and put them back in the right side. lol

Shrimp are such explorers. They love to check out every single nook and cranny in the tank.

They check out every single thing in the tank from one end to the other. If something is in there,

they know it, and will check it out and know what it is. Every 32th inch of it or smaller.  lol

I just can believe they are getting through the HMF filter, the little buggers.

HMF Filter

Mr Aqua 12 Gallon

12 gallon Mr Aqua

What kind of foam are you using? I used the 45ppi Poret foam for my HMF - even newborn shrimplets are too big for those holes.

I don't have any idea what the foam is. I will have to check out what you are using though. Where do you usually get yours?

Yes, they can make it.

I have pre-filter with 25-30 ppi sponge, they went through it and reach the HOB chamber.

So, what does everyone think is the best foam to use for your HMF? and where do you get it?  and Thanks!   lol

It's not that big of a deal if they get through to the other side. On the other side of the HMF is a 3" wide X 9" X 9" area

with a Tom's mini canister, the HMF sponge filter part, and a media bag of ceramics, bio balls, and AK1's, so there

is plenty of bio film for them to eat in that area. I guess is they can get in there, they can get back to the other side of

the tank too, if they get hungry enough. If I see them in there, I net them and put them back in the big side of the tank.

I got mine from Swiss Tropicals

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

They come in different sizes and density but for shrimps 45ppi is what you want. They also have HMF kits with their JetLifter tubes - highly recommended!

I got mine from Swiss Tropicals

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

They come in different sizes and density but for shrimps 45ppi is what you want. They also have HMF kits with their JetLifter tubes - highly recommended!

same. i got all my hmf from there also. I've seen my shrimp climb over the foam into the rear chamber before. so dont be surprised if yours do that someday.

jumpsmasher, how do those jet lifter tubes work?  Do you have a photo of one showing the jet lifter tube and how it works?

Thanks!

The jetlifters are just air driven lift tubes similar to the lift tubes you see on UG filters but there is no airstone; you just plug your airline directly to the ring on the base of the lift tube. As there is no obstruction inside the tube like an airstone they can move a large volume of water if you have a powerful airpump - 180+ gal/hr!

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-jetlifter-cubelifter/

If you only have a single tank you can use a powerhead or stick your intake of your canister filter behind the HMF. But if you have a rack of tanks you can use a central air pump to run all the HMF with jet lifters

Thanks for the info jumpsmasher!

• 2 weeks later...

Little late to the party but I have one tank with the hmf with the jetlifters..it works great although being at the surface (and mine has one on each end..opposite corners) I see a tremendous amount of evaporation.

How so, if I may ask? I've had an open top 40B for some years now, switched to HMF several months ago and there is no change in evaporation rate from what I can tell. If anything, I think it may have gone down a little.

I think it may have to do with going from a normal sponge filter in a corner to two jetlifter hmfs on each end causing a circular current across the top possibly similiar to having a hob on each end

Yeah, same for me, I don't seem to lose much in evaporation with my HMF in like I have it. But I do have a sliding glass top on mine.