Jager Heaters

OMG Aquatics

I've seen a lot of people say they like this heater so I gave it a try. Bought 2 from Amazon. Both arrived "broken". One had the bottle part of the heater inside slanted. The other one, I put it at 71F and tank is 75F yet the heater still turns on and keeps heating. Maybe just bad luck? Gonna give these heaters one more try before I give up on them.

The Jagers needs to be calibrated. Once that's done it holds temperatures rock solid. Whenever I get a new jager I do an empty tank test to see what the dial temp is at and what it's actually responding to before it's on/off. Once I know the range, I set up the temp factoring in the +/-. It's like anything else, you need to test the uppers and lower ranges.

Reliability is more correlated to the jager not turning on/off or failing to turn off and cooking everything. I've never experienced this with jager units.

Getting a DOA unit is rare but does happen. I've received a crack Fluval C3 and Marina Breede box. Besides the inconvenience of mailing it back, return labels are always free from Amazon. In fact, Amazon has an amazing return policy.

Wanna give me clear instructions on calibration? The manual is a total mess.

put the adjust dial in the middle first. set to any temp higher than room temp.

let it running for couple hours, then use precise thermometer to check the water temp. 

move the adjust dial to the correct temp. done.

I have one of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R5JZFZTQJ2A7JWDZ468

I use ice-water mix and boiling water to calibrate it. so this is my reference.

• 2 weeks later...

This by far is the worst heater ever from my experience. Purchased 3. All 3 does NOT function properly and requires re calibration and even after that, it's not working properly or I did it wrong. I don't see Aqueon pro heaters require this much work. :(

Set to 75F woke up this morning and tank water is 80F.

Yea ive never had problems once calibrated. I have had a few for years. Used a bunch of different kinds and had them all fail.

Sorry the Jagers have given you so much trouble mate. If you've tried and tried and it's not working out, maybe Jager Brand just isn't suited for built for you. I also recommend those inline heaters if you're into pug and play. Those also hold temperatures rock solid. It's more costly but pretty straight forward. Best of luck to yah.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received replacement. Yet another disappointment. Set to 75F. Left in tank to adjust to correct temperature for 30 minutes. Turned heater on and do my thing. I come back 10 hours later and it's at 82F!!!!

This by far is the worst heater I've dealt with!!

I'm going to youtube how to calibrate these since their instructions are crap.

Other heaters that don't have calibration are either accurate or 1-2F off but this is just WAY off.