Blue Velvet deaths - sorry I'm so long winded

Desireenfh

I purchased 15 BVs from a seller on tpt, she sent them right away and I honestly had no problems with her.

This was two weeks ago.

I currently have, what looks to be, five BVs remaining.

I have no clue as to why they are dropping so quickly. When I got them, they were swimming around and pecking off the back aquarium wall (I allowed the algae to grow there) with gusto. Now, I barely see them and the few remaining are hardly ever on the back wall.

cc62f0bbd58a1f37d64a3146358dfc51.jpg

And as you can see, my parameters are well within range.

I have them in a 10g running a sponge filter, no heater, temps tend to remain around 78 degrees during the day, and a marineland double-bright fixture.

For decor, it's rather spartan; it's petco black sand as substrate, a lava rock covered in mostly Christmas moss, a small tumble of java moss, a piece of a java fern, fissidens on a piece of cholla wood, IAL, a bioball from azoo, marimo ball, tiny piece of hydrocotyle(sp?) and some flame moss on six charcoal bamboo logs. Everything in that tank is also in my cherry tank with no ill effects.

I used to have a betta in there but when I bought the BVs, I moved him to another tank and did a, maybe, 60% WC. Mostly out of convenience since it was an already cycled tank and the BVs were an impulse buy.

Only thing I can think of, is I attached the christmas moss and flame moss to their respective anchors using superglue, which I read was aquarium safe.

Idunnowhattodohalp!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok if I'm reading the test correctly (never done kH and gH before), my kH is 71.6, gH is 107.4, and my pH is 7.6. I use tap water with seachem prime for water changes and top offs. I'm in the process of installing a ro unit (waiting on my brother to help) and wasn't going to get a tds meter until I did that, as I didn't think I would need it currently.

The 60% WC was done about four to five days before the shrimp arrived and the tank has been running for maybe four months, max but no less than three; that is from absolute startup to now. The betta was in there for a month or so.

And I did drip acclimate the shrimp for a little less than three hours before adding them to the tank.

That big water change probably did it . The Kh an Gh test work off how many drops it take to change color, blue to yellow for Kh and orange to green for Gh. Fill tube after rinsing out add one drop at a time invert 7-8 times repeat, the test is done when color change occurs.  

I'm assuming the kh & gh readings are ppm, not German degrees. If so, take the number & decide by 17.9 to give a rough estimate.

If you have the drop tests for kh & gh, the number of drops does correspond to the German degrees.

Ok yes I did it as ppm. KH is 4 and gH is 6. Right? That pamphlet is confusing.

Sorry for your losses. The GH could probably do with being a bit higher to aid molting altho it's only just out of range really. 7+ is good to aim for. 

If you are using tap water there may be stuff in there that the conditioners aren't dealing with. I had a number of unexplained deaths with my white pearls. 

When you change over to RO make sure you use something like Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ to get the TDS GH you want and the KH needed for a stable water column. I had used only SS GH+ and had a pH crash which caused havoc and a few more deaths.

No problem. Most people work with the degrees because the numbers are easier to deal with & it corresponds to the number of drops in the test tube.

Hang in there.

No problem. Most people work with the degrees because the numbers are easier to deal with & it corresponds to the number of drops in the test tube.

Hang in there.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys, I really appreciate it. It's nice finally having someone to go to for advice when I panic since my family really doesn't care about my enthusiasm for shrimp. Not that would know what to do but it's nice having people who listen and try to help with the problem. (:

Do you know for fact they are dying? See carcasses? Or just assuming because you arent seeing them? They really are good at hiding. You can try adding an airstone to get more oxygen in the water. Mine tend to swim around more then.

Do you know for fact they are dying? See carcasses? Or just assuming because you arent seeing them? They really are good at hiding. You can try adding an airstone to get more oxygen in the water. Mine tend to swim around more then.

Not a lot of places for them to hide and I keep trying to count them and I can't seem to count past, nine. But it is a possibility!

Plus, when they molt- it can be scary as well.

Oh god yes. The first time I saw a molt I couldn't figure out how the tissue disintegrated so quickly and why the carapace was clear!

Google was my friend those first few months.